DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An electrician had to move several wires and put in 5 junction boxes. In one of them there are copper wires that don't have connectors and in another there are a lot of wires in one box. Is it ok to have wires without a connector and is the other junction box overloaded?

Attachments

·
Licensed electrician
13,389 Posts
All the splices should have a connector like a wire nut.

The boxes will state the number and sizes of conductors allowed in the box. All grounds count as one.

Reactions: jlhaslip

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,819 Posts
I don't believe an electrician did that work. Are those boxes floating free, not secured to a framing member?

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
the boxes do not look over loaded to me, however that is some very messy work,

just for starters there is way too much wire inside the box, by "wire" i mean outside covering.....it should be stripped back further

and yes that ground connection should have a wire nut on it, my guess as to why he didnt put one on it is because its so short and it would be difficult to put one on using your fingers....it doesn't even look like its twisted together very well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the advise. I have called another electrician in to fix the work but they said they may need to redo some of the wires to the panel but will fully secure the junction boxes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ref to the two gang box picture.
I would read the printing on the romex cables for both the white and yellow romex. Most yellow is 12 gauge and most white is 14 gauge all depends on year of manufacture and manufacturer of the romex cable.

I see only one yellow romex going in the box with a few white (can't tell how many by the pic). My concern is that it is possible you have 12 and 14 connected to each other. If the box is being fed by a 12 gauge from the panel to a 20amp breaker and the white romex is in fact 14 gauge this could cause an issue in overheating of the 14 gauge romex conductors.

Again, I can't see what cables go where. I can't see where the cables are originating from etc. 14 gauge is rated for 15amps and 12 for 20amps.

But seeing what I see bothers me if the gauage are mixed and on an incorrect sized breaker. Again, read the markings on the romex cables to be sure. There is some white romex that is 12 gauge but please be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts