DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! My framer did a joist repair that looks kind of questionable. The old joist was cut and needed to be sistered, but in order to get the new joist in he shaved about an inch off the top so he could slide it under the plywood attached to the floor above. The new joist is not touching the floor boards above. Not sure if it was even possible to get the wood in there without doing that, but I'm wondering if this is ok and whether or not I need to do something else potentially on the other side of the joist. Any thoughts? I've attached picture.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Quote: " The new joist is not touching the floor boards above. "
- In other words, it's useless, the way it's now.
The plywood above needs to rest on a joist from the top plate of the wall to where the plywood for the floor above is.
If the new sister joist is an inch below the plywood, you risk having a sag later on.
At a minimum, attach a 2x6 to the sister joist, nail it good to the sister joist and have it up to the plywood above, for decent support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: " The new joist is not touching the floor boards above. "
- In other words, it's useless, the way it's now.
The plywood above needs to rest on a joist from the top plate of the wall to where the plywood for the floor above is.
If the new sister joist is an inch below the plywood, you risk having a sag later on.
At a minimum, attach a 2x6 to the sister joist, nail it good to the sister joist and have it up to the plywood above, for decent support.
I'm getting ready for a framing inspection. Do you think the 2x6 that would pass? What I'm thinking about doing is adding another 2x8 on the other side and maybe removing the bit of 2x8 joist on the right side over the framing/block wall and sandwiching another 2x8 between. Think that would be alright?

·
retired framer
59,860 Posts
It's a tiled floor hallway above.
We can see the plywood spacer and something nailed to the other side so there is not much more you can do with it now.
If nothing moves when people walk on the floor.
You could apply glue to the top of a 2x6 and nail to the side but it would ave to notched around the plywood now.
I would have done it different but to late for that.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Looks like he installed the tallest joist possible. Since its not touching the plywood subfloor, it’s not doing any good. Have them come back and drive a full length (or several shorter pieces) of shim on the gap. All he need go do is take a good 2x4, run it through the table say to get the right thickness, and tap it in place with a hammer.

·
retired framer
59,860 Posts
Looks like he installed the tallest joist possible. Since its not touching the plywood subfloor, it’s not doing any good. Have them come back and drive a full length (or several shorter pieces) of shim on the gap. All he need go do is take a good 2x4, run it through the table say to get the right thickness, and tap it in place with a hammer.
The top of the joist is angle cut so it is touching on the other sides.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
i don't understand how you guys can say the new joist isn't doing any good if it's not touching the subfloor. If the original joist is up to the subfloor , and the new joist is connected to the original joist, then the new joist supports the original one and the original one supports the subfloor, therefore the new joist is supporting the subfloor, albeit indirectly.

·
retired framer
59,860 Posts
I’m thinking the plywood was a previous patch, and the “something” is the splintered end of the old joist. i don’t think it will fail either, but there might be a little deflection in the floor.
For one joist they could have cut it short and supported it with the new wall next to the foundation. When we have large span on joists above will build that wall as load bearing as the footing is usually right below the floor slab.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on this. The 2x4 wall on the right side of the joist was build as load bearing. The plywood above the new joist was actually was actually wide than what was shown in the pictures. Just can't see it because it's behind the joist. The joist was angle cut, but still only barely touched the plywood on the other side. We ended up cleaning up the glue and placed a 2x6 along the new joist and up against the floor boards. Then added another 2x8 joist sistered along the old joist on the other side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.