DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am trying to frame a new picture frame deck in my house.
I am looking for some help on how I should frame the joints that is coming over the crawl space vents without blocking them.
Can you please suggest how I should frame the joists?
In the pic, the black line on the vents is where the top level of the joist comes to be leveled.
Thanks for your help
Vinoo
Building Rectangle Wood Grey Font

Wood Brick Brickwork Road surface Asphalt

·
retired framer
63,353 Posts
You are awfully close to the ground.
You will be hanging a joist in front of the vent but not attaching to the house?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. It is a deck that is about 12" above grade. The vent that i am showing is actually on perpendicular to the side where I am attaching with the ledger board. It is the portion that is in the red marked section of this drawing.
Rectangle Font Line Schematic Parallel

·
retired framer
63,353 Posts
Yes. It is a deck that is about 12" above grade. The vent that i am showing is actually on perpendicular to the side where I am attaching with the ledger board. It is the portion that is in the red marked section of this drawing. View attachment 670691
Maybe something this.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Much like an overhang on a gable roof.
Wood Black-and-white Triangle Bridge Landscape

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
#1, I'd be building this as a free standing deck so there 0 chance of damage to the home.
#2, I'd also be replacing that old vent with a new auto opening vent for more air flow.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi
I am trying to frame a new picture frame deck in my house.
I am looking for some help on how I should frame the joints that is coming over the crawl space vents without blocking them.
Can you please suggest how I should frame the joists?
In the pic, the black line on the vents is where the top level of the joist comes to be leveled.
Thanks for your help
Vinoo
You'll need to leave the vents blank, then "hanger" a header a few inches out from them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.