DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my kitchen I have 2 separate switches, each one powering a set of three recessed lights. These were operating fine with traditional switches, but I'm having a problem now that I've changed to the Decora switches.

One Switch 1, I have three black house wires connected; on Switch 2, I have one red house wire, and a very short connecting piece of wire that obviously is supposed to provide current from switch 2 to switch 1. This looks identical to the hookup that was there with the previous traditional switches, but I am not getting any current.

Can anyone help? One (or more) of my connections must be wrong.

Thanks,
Len

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joining 2 Decora switches

Jim ---- Thanks; I tried to the dark screw, but no change. Did you mean the green screw? I thought this was only for grounding.

Len

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joining 2 switches

Sorry, guys; let me try to give a better description.

I have three separate black wires coming from house wiring and all are fastened to Switch 1 --- all of them are fastened to brass colored screws.

I have one red wire from house wiring fastened to Switch 2. Here's where the problem may lie ---- I have the short jumper leading from a brass screw on Switch 2 to a dark colred screw on Switch 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The three way switch has three terminals ---- two brass and one dark colored. The single switch has only two brass terminals.

Since it appears the three way is not needed since I can't turn these lights on from another location in the house, I will replace it with another single switch with two terminals.

Now, I am able to turn on one set of recessed lights with the single switch, but I am still not able to turn lights on with the three way switch. It seems as if I have made a wrong connection somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts