DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've moved and our kitchen has JennAir - white glass front appliances, including this dishwasher. JDB1270AWF

They are a few years old, but not ancient.

The dishwasher is not cleaning. Bowls and plates, silverware, etc, are not getting clean.
Since it all matches, I don't really want to replace it. I'd rather fix it.

I finally put my phone in a clear food container and made some videos. Focus/pointing is not perfect but I think I've made some conclusions
See video's and photos posted in this shared Google Album:

Progress, to date.
  1. Lower arm sometimes catches on the lower rack when it slides in. Very annoying and I'd think something is wrong with it, but can't find anything wrong.
  2. Opened up the lower assembly and removed old food/etc. Early on we saw gecko enter the washer but we never found him - we think he got chopped and flushed! Sorry poor gecko!
  3. Replaced the flapper on the water manifold - Found that one of the flappers was altogether missing, which I believe reduces pressure in the arms, and limiting the strength of their movement, if any. Photo in album is the old worn one.
  4. Tried to watch the arm movements, but once it is closed, it is hard to see.
  5. Pushed the latch closed when open to see the arm movement. Got soaked. Still hard to see. May have damaged the latch. Took the door apart and reset the latch, Sometimes it runs before closing now. Latch has 2 poles. Need to do some more troubleshooting there, but might need to replace the latch assembly.
  6. From the videos, I'm pretty sure the top/ceiling arm spins,
  7. From the videos, the middle arm now seems to spin. Sometimes. Less sure of that.
  8. From the videos, I think the lower arm isn't spinning at all.
I'm wondering what I could do next to promote arm movement? Is the pump not pushing enough? Is the water leaking out somewhere reducing the pressure?

Some parts are no longer available.

Middle Arm available, but not the 21/23 items:
Font Bicycle part Line Aviation Drawing

Water distribution:
Font Line Parallel Rectangle Engineering
Not sure what the image is of item 2. Item1 manifold is not available.

Lower Arm:
Font Automotive parking light Water Art Drawing
Item 1 - How is it removed? Funny star pattern head - Standard thread unscrew? Seems quite tight. Haven't put a wrench to it yet.
Should I be replacing item 1/2/5 and/or 6?

Looking for guidance. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have wash arms at the top, bottom, and below the upper rack. Do they all rotate freely? They're rotated during the cycle by water flowing through them. If they move freely by hand, they're not getting sufficient water flow during the cycle. Could be a debris blockage anywhere in the piping; happens most commonly at the holes in the arms themselves, but could happen at any point from the pump onward.
"Rotate freely" is used loosely here. If you spin the lower arm, it almost always hit something. It hits the rack if it is in the wrong spot when you roll in the rack. I tried to show the "freely spinning" arms in some of the videos posted.

I'll disassemble and see if I can find blockages.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Added more photos of the disassembly to the shared link.
The impeller has a lower ring that has broken off. Is this critical?

The filter assembly has fine mesh that filters the water flow. About 20% of the mesh is separated from the base. Could that be where my loss of pressure comes from? Should I try to reglue the edges with super glue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife reports that it is cleaning better than before. The bottom drawer still hits the arm when the arm is pointing directly at the drawer, but something I did is extending the termination date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts