DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to calculate jach rafter length/angle?
I have added an additon onto my house Gable roof but the jack rafters are eating my lunch the roof is a 5/12 pitch:huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have been more clear, im building an addition onto an excisting roof i have layed out my valley boards but the cheek cuts are killing me

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I should have been more clear, im building an addition onto an excisting roof i have layed out my valley boards but the cheek cuts are killing me
I hope that your new roof is of the same pitch as the old one, or you will really be having lunch problems.
You don't say, but it seems that you are building the roof in a similar way that a dormer would be built.
Does the ridge of the new roof meet the old ridge?
And what is the style of the old roof? (hip, gabled ?)
Will the addition form an L or a T.
Not sure if these are pertinent, but may have a bearing on the solution.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
What is the easiest way to calculate jach rafter length/angle?
I have added an additon onto my house Gable roof but the jack rafters are eating my lunch the roof is a 5/12 pitch:huh:
Is the addition roof a gable or hip roof that lands on top of the existing gable roof and you have two false valleys where you're using valley jacks on top of sleepers? Or does the addition have a hip roof also and your trying to figure the hip jacks nailed into the two hips for the new addition and valley jacks where it hits the house?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts