DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around the windows and doors of our 3.5 year old home looks like what they call integrated J channel. I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am. Some siding and window contractors stated something along the lines of the J Channel/channel flashing or taping wasn't done correctly when they looked behind the vinyl trim for our doors and windows.

The vinyl window trim all around the house is coming apart at the corners or just coming off. At the top of the trim there were visible holes in some and not in others. When I pull the trim a little it appears as if there are side channels which could allow the water to flow down the sides. I can see black tape in one area. At the bottom of some of the windows it looks like they put a random piece of J channel under it (it's covered by the vinyl trim). I've had some siding and window guys come in and all have said it wasn't done correctly, could cause water intrusion and should be completely redone.

Can anyone look at some of the pictures I put up and tell me if what they're saying is spot on? I'm not looking for people saying that they don't like integrated J channel because it can have problems, I'm looking for if what was done meets standards/is to code, etc.

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
4,172 Posts
That's why I didn't respond too, couldn't make out the pics.

It looks like the last pic window has the built-in J. Can't tell if he cut that or only the installed trim in the other pics. And if they installed PVC trim around the J channel, that defeats the purpose of ordering windows like that if done so. The siding looks like no gap was provided for expansion at the edges. Where's the flashing for the stone face over the window.

·
Naildriver
18,565 Posts
Thanks for the pix. Pulling the jchannel away from the vinyl siding is a normal thing as it is held in place on the "J" and is loose. I would not be too concerned about that. HOWEVER, the windows where there is stone is a different problem. Was the stone there first and windows installed later, or just the opposite. I would never put a window with a jchannel where rock was to be installed. There's nothing to stop water infiltration. The opening will need Tyvek, and window tape, usually 6 to 9 inches wide around the window and an application of either brick mold or 1x lumber, THEN the stone. Interesting to hear how it was done.

Reactions: WIHome

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pix. Pulling the jchannel away from the vinyl siding is a normal thing as it is held in place on the "J" and is loose. I would not be too concerned about that. HOWEVER, the windows where there is stone is a different problem. Was the stone there first and windows installed later, or just the opposite. I would never put a window with a jchannel where rock was to be installed. There's nothing to stop water infiltration. The opening will need Tyvek, and window tape, usually 6 to 9 inches wide around the window and an application of either brick mold or 1x lumber, THEN the stone. Interesting to hear how it was done.
I'm pretty certain the window was installed first and then the stone although so many windows broke during install that I can't remember which ones they had to take out and replace.

So some of the tops of windows I saw that they overlapped the corners whereas over the doors for some reason, they cut out the vinyl on the top near the corners allowing water to run down the sides which seams like it could be ok, since it runs down this protected channel on all sides it seems (I think that's the whole point of integral J-channel but I could be wrong). I'm just not sure why they would intentionally cut a whole at the top vs. putting that overlap on top which I'm seeing in some areas to make it run over the vinyl and siding vs. through the channel if that makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.