DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it on CL as "make me an offer", but I'd like to have a picture of a new one to see what it does, how it goes together and what's missing. It was here when we moved in. At least tell me what it's for besides lifting 500 to 1,000 lbs.
...somehow.... I figure the more I know about it, the more I can ask.

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My guess would be that it is part of a mechanical crane for the back of a pickup or service truck. If so, I think it's missing a manual winch, part of the mast, and a pulley or two. No idea what brand it might be, and I am on dial-up, which is moving a bit slow tonight, but you should find someting similar at Northern Tool's, Tractor Supply's, or maybe even Harbor Freight's websites.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Labeling the parts "A" as the long, top piece; then "B" the piece with the two ear like thingy's, the "C" the piece with the bottom plate: B goes over C, the a pin goes through the holed near the larger end of A which also goes through one the topmost ear thingy of B, a missing hydraulic ram fits between the lowermost ear of B and the ear thingy welded to A, thus making a hydraulic lifting device as would be mounted in a pick-up truck bed. Just my 3 cents worth.

·
just a tool guy
255 Posts
Thurman nailed it...I had one in the back of my last truck. It needs a long necked bottle jack, and p'raps a top mount winch to make it complete. Kind of a Harbor Frieghtish thing...but handy when you need it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Yup; Thurman actually gets a full nickel for that one. I had forgotten they had those hydraulic operated too, and that explains the extra tangs that I couldn't put my finger on.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'd still be nice to have a picture and a price......

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! THAT's what I have. I guess I'll take the guy's offer of $20.00.
I have no use for it and there ARE pieces missing. I'd only get around $5.00 in scrap for it....

DM

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Great photo there Dexter II, that one certainly appears to be very close if not the exact one. I was thinking something more of of a "red-neck" homemade unit myself, but the HF one is it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
That was simply a matter of dumb luck. I decided probably 20 years ago or more that I would not buy anything more from HF, although I assume that they have had to raise their quality some over the years, and I didn't remember Hein Werner having one like that, which was the only one of the regular jack companies who would have painted it that color, so I figured that it pretty much came down to HF or Northern, as any of the really, really cheap import ones wouldn't have spent to money to rate it, let alone actually put the capacity on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts