DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
We recently had a 5x5' polished marble floor installed in a powder room in a herring bone type of pattern. When the work was completed we found that many of the tiles were hazy and scratched. I checked them against clean tiles still left over in the box from the tile store and the box ones are perfectly polished with no scratches.

I know that marble is susceptible to scratching but this is on another level entirely. Any idea what could have caused this and how it might be fixed? Please see pics and video below. It's a lot easier to see in the video - when moving around the reflection from the window really shows off the areas that are dull versus the areas that are polished as they should be.

Would greatly appreciate some insight from the stone and tile experts!

Video:

Pics:

1:

2 (see the window reflection - two of the tiles are polished but the bottom left one has a bad haze to it)::

3:

4 (see scratches/difference just below bottom-most grout line):

5:
Wood Grey Flooring Floor Rectangle

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,666 Posts
Yes as above.

Sanded grout can be culpret on the softer marbles.

Also, strangly and lately I have been having an issue in getting grout haze off some very simple white porceline or subway tile. Never had the problem before, and honestly thought that maybe formulas have changed in the grout. I believe it was Customs BP grout both times.

I would test hit it with a grout haze acidic remover , using only a "soft - light grit" scotch type pad.

I don't know if marbles can be honed/polished (with diamond abrasives) after install if it is permently scratched.. Never done that or had the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zooming in any picture, it looks like classic sanded marble.
Meaning sanded grout was used instead of unsanded?

These pics were taken right after install and a quick wipe down with a small amount of water on a microfiber cloth. There has been no meaningful traffic as of yet.

I wonder if the contractor used sanded grout, and then scratched the marble while trying to remove the excess grout?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Marble is pretty soft ,cracks easy too. I have black and white marble in my master bath. Still looks pretty good after 10 yrs although the wife spilled some toilet bowl cleaner on it and it etched the surface in that spot. I used much smaller grout spacing and black unsanded grout. You may be able to have your scratches polished out although iv never tried it.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Grout is clearly sanded, so contractor is either clueless or lying to you to avoid the problem. Of course marble manufacturers are going to recommend against sanded grout specifically because of this issue. Now, there are some "sanded" grouts you can use. Mapei Flexcolor CQ, for example, because it's not really sand - it's more of a rounded off little quartz bead (which is how it was explained to me). But even for that one, the literature says "Some types of sensitive tiles such as glass mosaic or marble can be permanently stained, scratched, dulled or damaged when grouting. Always test the grout on a separate sample area before grouting to determine the suitability of the tile". I don't know what kind of grout you have. Presumably you picked the color from some color palette, right? So you should be able to know the brand. Ask him to show you the product he used. Then read the instructions. Surely it will specifically warn against using it on marble.

Having said that, that is an awful lot of scratching and it's hard to believe that was caused by grout. Not sure what to say about that. Just based on the photos, I think I would have to go out of my way to intentionally scratch the tile like that.

The second issue is obvious though - they didn't clean the grout well during install. Glossy polished tile like this is very very particular about having the grout cleaned off meticulously, and some installers just weren't up to the task.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Grout is clearly sanded, so contractor is either clueless or lying to you to avoid the problem.
No! Say it ain’t so!

So since you and I are on the outside looking in, with all the knowledge in the world to back us up … is it reasonable to have expected the contractor to advise the customer that sanded grout was proscribed, and thus he is on the hook to make it right?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
So since you and I are on the outside looking in, with all the knowledge in the world to back us up … is it reasonable to have expected the contractor to advise the customer that sanded grout was proscribed, and thus he is on the hook to make it right?
Well the best course of action IMO is to get the actual grout used and read the instructions on it. Hard cold fact is harder to oppose than some random guys on the internet. But the short answer is....yes.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Yes as above.

Sanded grout can be culpret on the softer marbles.

Also, strangly and lately I have been having an issue in getting grout haze off some very simple white porceline or subway tile. Never had the problem before, and honestly thought that maybe formulas have changed in the grout. I believe it was Customs BP grout both times.

I would test hit it with a grout haze acidic remover , using only a "soft - light grit" scotch type pad.

I don't know if marbles can be honed/polished (with diamond abrasives) after install if it is permently scratched.. Never done that or had the problem.
I just did 3 X 6 white subway tile in my master bath shower and had a hard time getting the haze off. I used water and a gray scotch brite pad to get it off. No ill effects of the tile. Of course I rubbed the crap out a left over piece first to see.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I can say that the newer premixed, waster based grouts like Mapei Flexcolro CQ, Laticrete Spectralock 1, and Custom Fusion Pro dry VERY fast (not in the grout line, but when spread thin on the tiles) and have to be wiped up very quickly or it's going to be a real pain in the ass. One case where following manufacturers instructions is not a good idea. Mapei says to wait 5-10 minutes (that will be a disaster). To their credit, Custom says the working time is only 1-4 minutes.

But anyway, I doubt that was premixed grout.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,666 Posts
I just did 3 X 6 white subway tile in my master bath shower and had a hard time getting the haze off. I used water and a gray scotch brite pad to get it off. No ill effects of the tile. Of course I rubbed the crap out a left over piece first to see.
I can say that the newer premixed, waster based grouts like Mapei Flexcolro CQ, Laticrete Spectralock 1, and Custom Fusion Pro dry VERY fast (not in the grout line, but when spread thin on the tiles) and have to be wiped up very quickly or it's going to be a real pain in the ass. One case where following manufacturers instructions is not a good idea. Mapei says to wait 5-10 minutes (that will be a disaster). To their credit, Custom says the working time is only 1-4 minutes.

But anyway, I doubt that was premixed grout.
Mike and Jeff....That might be my issue,....I'm usually a clear 15 minutes for my first wipe.....but the second time I used it, I actually read the directions on a Custom blend and saw no such info.... I think it read something like "after initial set/hardening in the grout line" as it has always read.

But thanks, I do a lot of tiling in the past and never had that pronlem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts