DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Look at my post 7
Under IPC you can use combination drain and vent method on the island sink. The pipe must be 2 inch and no garbage disposals installed. Vent location doesn't matter.
I would look and make sure your plumber has pitch on the pipe 1/4" per foot. But overall I don't see an issue.
@Ghostmaker I understand what you are explaining. However, this is strictly IPC. It would not fly per UPC model code. You would need a AAV or island vent. UPC kitchen sinks are always 2" per sizing chart
I'm just trying to explain it to Chandler He lives in an IPC state.

·
Naildriver
11,383 Posts
somewhere on that same horizontal plane it has a vent or a vented fixture
Is there a footage limit as to where that vent must be in relation to the island?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Alright, so I tried some things and I think it's not getting enough air.

I filled up the sink and removed the dishwasher hose that's connected to the same drain pipe with a wye. I capped the dishwasher inlet with my finger, and removed the sink water stopper.

The water started to drain as normal-ish, and I slowly removed my finger from the dishwasher inlet to introduce more air. By doing that I was able to confirm the water drained the way it should, like all the other fixtures in the house.

So now my question is this....

How do I go about adding an AAV for this sink is the P-Trap is below my floor? Can an AAV valve be added before the p-trap? When I look at the plumbing, there's basically a 1-1/2 pipe that goes all the way under the floor, with the exception of the dishwasher wye in place.

This is more of a nuisance than a problem for us. It drains okay...just not as nicely as we'd like, so I'd like to get it fixed.

* Edit * Basement is finished and I'd really rather not cut anything open in the ceiling if possible.

·
Naildriver
11,383 Posts
We've all been working theories and what ifs, but if you could post a picture of your actual trap set up, it may help us give better information.

·
Naildriver
11,383 Posts
And the plot thickens...................

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
And the plot thickens...................
So...no easy way to correct this? Got the place like this and don't really want to cut the ceilings or anything. I can live with it if there is no easy way to add an aav to the existing setup

Thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts