DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are newly bought Trex boards. On the home depot rack most are curved to some degree, but I figured it was no big deal because they will be fastened down. I have a friend who installed trex and he pointed out that at the ends in a bunch of cases they had curled up.

I've noticed mine doing the same thing. They are just sitting--not yet installed obviously--but each of them just sitting in the sun have curled significantly at the ends. This makes some sense: with the mass of the board at the top any shrinking is going to disproportionately pull on the top vs the bottom, and create curling.

I'm going to use hidden fasteners but now I'm thinking that for the very ends I will have to countersink screw them. This is particular important to me because I'll have a parting board in the middle of the deck, so it's not like I can just ignore some minor curling at each end; the ends of these boards in the middle of the deck absolutely have to lay flat.

Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Plank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a deck where used a style like this and yes they curled some too. Not sure I would use them on my own.
How did you resolve, or attempt to resolve? I am not sure it would necessarily be a big deal depending on layout, but in my friend's case, for example, the he had stairs off to the end so these were poking up quite obtrusively.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
How did you resolve, or attempt to resolve? I am not sure it would necessarily be a big deal depending on layout, but in my friend's case, for example, the he had stairs off to the end so these were poking up quite obtrusively.
Have not as of yet. Will have to see what it looks like in the spring when go back to finish up the job.

·
Registered
579 Posts
And if there's one thing that boards are not good with it is screwing through the ends at an angle.

I strongly suggest doubling up the joist with additional framing so that you can install additional clips where you will have ends meet ... versus driving screws in at an angle. If you have an area where two boards will meet and a few staggered joints left and right ... double those up with a PT 2x. Use extra clips. Don't go through the face, especially not at an angle, unless you have to.

I have not installed grooved fake decking for myself, but I have a large deck in original Trex that was installed for the previous owner, that has nothing but issues like swelling, molding, sagging between joists, split ends all over the place where boards butted up and they just drove in screws at an angle, etc ... and every year I keep thinking I should rip it up. ...

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you can screw flat through the ends, perpendicular into the framing underneath, then that’s probably fine. They actually have some brands with plastic plugs to fill in … or with plastic end caps to hide the grooves on the ends.

Just that butting two boards up over a joist and having 3/4 of support on each side and driving screws at 45deg through it …😬

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If you can screw flat through the ends, perpendicular into the framing underneath, then that’s probably fine. They actually have some brands with plastic plugs to fill in … or with plastic end caps to hide the grooves on the ends.

Just that butting two boards up over a joist and having 3/4 of support on each side and driving screws at 45deg through it …😬
All my butt joins land on a full 2x.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pic was for illustrative purposes only; each board will have a full 2X under it, as they'll be fastened down on the perimeter and then near the center I have the parting board with proper support under everything. I'll see about finding some plugs and just screw those end bits if I have any doubts about the hidden fasteners' pull out. The fasteners only have plastic tabs so are not really intended to hold down much, so likely will have to go with the screws.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts