DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just hired someone to refinish my basement. Here are some pictures of his framing around the Ductwork.. First picture, he screwed wood frame directly into the ductwork and then added some support on top of it. Second pictures are the framing on the side of ductwork it looks like he attached a wood 2x2 lining the cieling near the duct, hung the Sheetrock from that woood, dropping just beneath the duct and added another 2X2 that lines the bottom of the sheet rock. Should he be hanging the Sheetrock like that? Third picture shows there are no wood framing for the Sheetrock from the ceiling that’s dropping from the ceiling..
Building Wood Interior design Floor Flooring

Building Shade Wood Floor Fixture

Wood Shade Beam Tints and shades Composite material

Wood Building Window Beam Fixture

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I would not attach framing directly to ductwork. As the metal duct changes temperature it will expand and contract and you will hear creaking and cracking sounds. Also, condensation on the ducts will be trapped by the wood and can cause rot, mold, etc. Ductwork is hung, not rigidly attached.

Reactions: Domo and PaulDay

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
I agree, the framing should be independent from the ductwork, attached to the ceiling and walls. Here's one we did in a basement a month ago or so. Overkill, but it is sturdy.

Building House Stairs Wood Fixture

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
78 Posts
No.

I know sometimes one has to improvise a bit to overcome an obstacle, but I am really scratching my head with what you are showing. From the 2x4s screwed into the duct, then short cripples above it, filler strips below it, then battens to fill out, and it still doesn't reach below the duct to box it all in ...

Ducts are not there to become structure. They're hung and support themselves, and should remain independent from heavy framing and especially drywall. Framing and drywall should be built independent of it it with an air gap.

Why not simply hang proper length 2x4s from the ceiling joists on both sides of the vent - or pre-build a ladder like frame - and then one other side of the beam, span across under it with some 2x ... nail & screw it off. Install drywall. Simple.

What is the height under the beam? under the duct? is there a low clearance situation?

·
Registered
78 Posts
In that scenario - as a 6 ft tall person + DIY - I'd look at making 2x4 " ladder " frames, hanging them parallel besides the the duct and beam, and just 1x strapping underneath, then install drywall ... maybe one could entertain to skip the strapping over the duct work to gain an extra 3/4 inch in height. Or just use 2x for three of them, but nothing underneath the span of the duct?

I just don't understand the idea behind how the installer has multiple heights left to right then still has to go around the duct ... to cover the whole thing ... instead of just one flat span.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what do the plans show ?

I don't see timber attached to the duct.
Are you sure the framing is complete ?
In that scenario - as a 6 ft tall person + DIY - I'd look at making 2x4 " ladder " frames, hanging them parallel besides the the duct and beam, and just 1x strapping underneath, then install drywall ... maybe one could entertain to skip the strapping over the duct work to gain an extra 3/4 inch in height. Or just use 2x for three of them, but nothing underneath the span of the duct?

I just don't understand the idea behind how the installer has multiple heights left to right then still has to go around the duct ... to cover the whole thing ... instead of just one flat span.

The idea was to gain as much space as possible. I thought that he was going to at least box it out. Looking at it now, he just boxed it with Sheetrock using as minimal amount of wood that he could utilize.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The idea was to gain as much space as possible. I thought that he was going to at least box it out. Looking at it now, he just boxed it with Sheetrock using as minimal amount of wood that he could utilize.
(edited )
ahhh, therein lies the rub !
That, and maybe no drawings.

The Hack is trying to maintain as much open space possible.

Pics do not always tell the story.. like the frame spacing.... it appears, maybe, the horizontal framing under the ducts are more than 24" oc. which would be minimum; 16" oc would be proper.

Ducts should have a little cushioning against any framing and drywall. 1'' insulation will suffice to minimize expansion/contraction movement noise.

The fasteners used and placement are not shown; cannot advise on that.
The framing does not appear to be completed. -shrug-.

Calmly voice your concerns/questions to the framer.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,964 Posts
I just want the job done right, it doesn’t have to be perfect.. Would you care to elaborate more as to what should be done?
icerabbit pretty muched summed up how you box ducts. Ladder frames and you don't even have to have furring under the duct (the gyp brd can be stiff enough to span between 2 ladders on opposite sides of a duct - as long as the duct isn't too wide). Framing doesn't even have to be 2x4s.

Perfect is not necessary, but screwing into the side of a duct says that dude doesn't even know the basics.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,413 Posts
ahhh, therein lies the rub !
That, and maybe no drawings.

The framer is trying to maintain as much open space possible.

Pics do not always tell the story.. like the frame spacing.... it appears, maybe, the horizontal framing under the ducts are more than 24" oc. which would be minimum; 16" oc would be proper.

Ducts should have a little cushioning against any framing and drywall. 1'' insulation will suffice to minimize expansion/contraction movement noise.

The fasteners used and placement are not shown; cannot advise on that.
The framing does not appear to be completed. -shrug-.

Calmly voice your concerns/questions to the framer.
@Thom Paine - I respect you and honor the help you always provide on the forum - BUT, PLEASE don't uses the word "Framer" in relation to this guy. Framers are well respected and critical to get a building to remain standing - everything else (except the foundation, I suppose) depends on their work... Just sayin'. LOL

No @Thom Paine I'm not yelling at you - I 'splaining the guy's a hack!

Oh - and I've seen places where some folks simply hang the sheetrock by screwing directly into the ducting! EEeKKK! Clearance would be best and could have saved all that wood! {* sarcasm *}.

·
Registered
673 Posts
@Thom Paine - I respect you and honor the help you always provide on the forum - BUT, PLEASE don't uses the word "Framer" in relation to this guy. Framers are well respected and critical to get a building to remain standing - everything else (except the foundation, I suppose) depends on their work... Just sayin'. LOL

No @Thom Paine I'm not yelling at you - I 'splaining the guy's a hack!

Oh - and I've seen places where some folks simply hang the sheetrock by screwing directly into the ducting! EEeKKK! Clearance would be best and could have saved all that wood! {* sarcasm *}.
(Scrolling up) Awww, c'mon now, I wouldn't make such an error, I never called him. uhhh.... uhhhhh..uhhh....

Holy excrement!

I Did call the guy a Framer ! I don't know how to 'splain m'sef....
It was a brain lapse, My synapses didn't apse and it caused a slip of the thumbs on the keyboard..

Alas, There is no acceptable reason for the error.
I promise penance.
40 Lashes across my back with a water hose
In front of my waffle headed, hickory handled, 28 oz. Hammer Altar
I will kneel while repeating 100 times, Hail Estwing.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

You're right.... it really is a major mess-up on my part...
I edited/ fixed it.

Thanks for the mannerly comeuppance.. 😀 and the chuckles.

Best to you and yours D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts