DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make use of some old 5" pot lights, which are basically a steel housing, par 30 75 w max. units, but I do not have the mounting plates, supports, or spring clips. I see there are a few holes in the unit past the bulb connector, which I can pass some 3" screws, where I could leave 3/4" gap between the can, and the 2x4 support, as shown in the pic. I would use a CFL 15w par30, to reduce heat also.
The wiring goes through a bx, and done in the enclosed steel box.
Would this be a safe usage? Other than the heat, I don't see why not.

Attachments

·
Union Electrician
615 Posts
Most manufacturers sell replacement parts. What you propose MAY work, but I've never been a fan of installing something dicey that the next person may not be hip on how to avoid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would recommend using new IC rated cans. They are rated for insulation contact and will not start a fire. You can get the cans from Home Depot for $7.50 ea. if you look around. Trims are about $8.00.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend using new IC rated cans. They are rated for insulation contact and will not start a fire. You can get the cans from Home Depot for $7.50 ea. if you look around. Trims are about $8.00.
I can't find the IC rated at that price, not even close. I've been in to look, also, on their website at $15 those are not IC compatible, maybe I have t look harder at another store.

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
The original metal frame probably kept the can itself some minimum distance from the nearest stud.

I would say nothing wrong with using the old cans provided you maintain all of the appropriate clearnces, although it may be a lot of time and effort doing jury-rigging. I have seen square perforated metal "pipe", a small section of which could be used as a spacer through which a 2-1/2 or 3 inch screw could hold the can, minus its original frame, on a stud.

I have dong this kind of jur-rigging myself, including removing the factory supplied framing so the (brand new) can or other device would fit in the space provided.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The original metal frame probably kept the can itself some minimum distance from the nearest stud.

I would say nothing wrong with using the old cans provided you maintain all of the appropriate clearnces, although it may be a lot of time and effort doing jury-rigging. I have seen square perforated metal "pipe", a small section of which could be used as a spacer through which a 2-1/2 or 3 inch screw could hold the can, minus its original frame, on a stud.

I have dong this kind of jur-rigging myself, including removing the factory supplied framing so the (brand new) can or other device would fit in the space provided.

Thanks Allan,

but I have a lot of clearance to floor joists, which is off to the "side" of the can. It would be no problem for me at all to install these since i I would screw up, through the can, to a 2x4 which is screwed inbetween joists, and voila. I know they are not suppose to be installed this way, so I am more enquiring to see if anyone has ever seen it, if anyone knows it would be safe. I am leaving 3/4" between the can and the 2x4, so they are not touching. There are a few holes already in the top of the can, two of them would serve as the screw holes. there are 4 or 5, at a 1/8" diameter. Also thinking about minimizing heat, I would use CFL 15 watt bulbs. What do you think? Thanks for your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts