DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a electrical hookup in our family room that we didn’t want.

The before picture shows the fan hookup.

Wood Twig Automotive exterior Engineering Motor vehicle

The electricians already left, but our construction manager said the fan was required, so it had to be installed, but since we didn’t want it he ran those wires up into one of the canned lights next to it.

The after picture shows the new setup with the old wire going into the can light.

Wood Beam Hardwood Building material Composite material

He mentioned the switch for the fan wouldn’t work and we could always go back up into the ceiling and add it at a future date if we changed our minds.

I’m just wondering how he took the wire from the hookup and put it into the can light.

Basically is it safe since an electricians didn’t do it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This post was deleted.
I trust site members, which is why I asked.

It was a regular switch to a light. We didn’t want the light (at all) but the builder couldn’t customize removing it.

My construction supervisor was nice enough to remove it and run the wire into the cab light box in case we ever wanted to use it in the future…but mentioned the switch wouldn’t work as is for the light.

I’m just asking if the wire he put in the can light box needs to be capped off.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Personally I would think just having it terminate and capped in an empty box in the attic, with a label that says future use, ceiling fan ... would be the smartest and make it easy to find in the future. But that may not be code. Hence it goes in hidden into another fixture box. So, maybe put a small mark on it now, then label it, after all inspections are done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I would think just having it terminate and capped in an empty box in the attic, with a label that says future use, ceiling fan ... would be the smartest and make it easy to find in the future. But that may not be code. Hence it goes in hidden into another fixture box. So, maybe put a small mark on it now, then label it, after all inspections are done.
I think it passed inspection, but he mentioned he had to leave it there (maybe it still needs to get checked).

It’s actually for a light, but we upgraded to canned lights and they required that one be installed (makes no sense).

But yeah, I’m 99% sure he put it in that canned light so it was still up to code and I’m 100% sure we’re never going to use it in the future.

Do I need to make sure all the wires are capped off individually? Or just one cap on all of them together?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I trust site members, which is why I asked.

It was a regular switch to a light. We didn’t want the light (at all) but the builder couldn’t customize removing it.

My construction supervisor was nice enough to remove it and run the wire into the cab light box in case we ever wanted to use it in the future…but mentioned the switch wouldn’t work as is for the light.

I’m just asking if the wire he put in the can light box needs to be capped off.
Most of us that trust our fellow members, have a public profile.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is no harm in what he has done,

however, if it was me, i would have mounted a 4x4 junction box on the side of one of your beams and have it terminate in there by itself,

with a cover on the box of course
Thanks. It’s a bigger builder and they can’t customize certain things.

They refused to remove it, and I didn’t want an open outlet/cover in the ceiling…so at least he did me a solid and removed the mount and put the wires into the existing can box. I’ll just make sure he capped them off.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would cap the three unused wires in the cable individually. Keep them separate from each other and any other wiring.

Alternate idea would be to convert that line to an attic outlet maybe or attic lights. If anybody ever needs to be up there for something.

·
Usually Confused
9,390 Posts
So now you have a wall switch that does nothing? If the power goes to the switch first, I would definitely make sure the conductors are capped separately; otherwise somebody flips the switch and you have a dead short.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Going to check it out and confirm before it’s all covered up.

Which color/size should be used?

Plastic bottle Font Toy Plastic Electric blue

And should this electrical tape be used to secure everything? Or is it okay with just a wire nut?

Automotive tire Rim Material property Gas Automotive wheel system

And is it safe to assume I don’t have any power? Here’s the outside box and inside panel.

Brick Wood Grey Brickwork Line
Wood Fixture Electrical wiring Gas Facade

·
Registered
882 Posts
coolguynick = NO it is not safe to assume you don't have power. You had said on the other forum that the outside receptacle is hot. More than likely the entire system is energized= don't touch it.
Also, always treat anything like this as hot until you can confirm with testing that it is not.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Going to check it out and confirm before it’s all covered up.

Which color/size should be used?

View attachment 695391

And should this electrical tape be used to secure everything? Or is it okay with just a wire nut?

View attachment 695392

And is it safe to assume I don’t have any power? Here’s the outside box and inside panel.

View attachment 695417 View attachment 695419

I would use the orange wire nuts to cap each wire individually,

Do not use tape, the nuts are fine,

I NEVER use tape inside a junction box, it doesn't belong in there IMO

·
Registered
882 Posts
Use the proper wire nut according to the chart on the package.

Yes, this tape is good but no need to tape and use a wire nut if you are just capping off a wire.

And - no, it is not safe to assume by a picture without testing to see if it is energized. No way for us to tell by these pictures and you should not assume it is not hot. I say this again because of the danger of assuming it is not hot.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Wire nuts list the approved combinations of wires they can fit. When capping 1 wire, it's very important you use the correct nut, and that will be a much smaller nut for 1 wire rather than 2-4.

So you might need the blue or even gray ones.

Normally use of tape on wire nuts is very bad, because it's used as a crutch to hold together poor connections. But I have seen tape used to hold a too-large nut on a single wire. Does not seem legit to me.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts