DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to use existing wiring and not run new wiring : Is this possible with a switch loop? important point is that i have only laid 2 wire Romex and the source is between the 2 bulbs in the ceiling :

Text Line Design Pattern Parallel

here is the closest thing i could find on the net - but whats the caution about the 2011 NEC ? in Red ?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What do you mean "the source is between the 2 bulbs in the ceiling" ?
Is there a third box in the ceiling? Or, is this just a single fixture with
2 lamps?
Or, does the "Source" cable go to either Light 1 or Light 2, with a cable between Light 1 and Light 2 plus a cable from Light 2 to the Switch?

The "caution" is that a Neutral is now required at most "new" switch boxes - just as it says.
This is because many "new" switching devices require a Neutral.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Or, does the "Source" cable go to either Light 1 or Light 2, with a cable between Light 1 and Light 2 plus a cable from Light 2 to the Switch?

The "caution" is that a Neutral is now required at most "new" switch boxes - just as it says.
This is because many "new" switching devices require a Neutral.

thank you and i apologize if i have not explained it correctly but i believe you have nailed it :

"Source" cable can goto light 1 or light 2 , with a cable between Light 1 and Light 2 plus a cable from Light 2 to the Switch?

Basically im trying to add another light to the below circuit and cant seem to figure out how to connect it :

Line Diagram Parallel Technology Circuit component

Does X connect to A or to B ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If by "source" you mean "hot" than if you take both hot and neutral to light two, run a hot and neutral to light one and take the hot to the switch and back to light one than it would work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.