DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Naildriver
18,604 Posts
You basically have a 2x4 doing the work of a 4x4, and it will not end well if you don't do some bracing at that odd connection.

Reactions: SW Dweller

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
quite a big notch.

isn't there some sort of weatherproof simpson's brackets for this sort of attachment? I would have cut the rails and mount that to the 4X4 using some special brackets.

·
Usually Confused
9,602 Posts
The middle photo (taken from the left of the post) looks like normal checking as the wood dried. The crack running from the notch to the ground was caused by it being overly-weakened by the notch and probably some load, like wind. Not only should the post not have been notched that much, it was over-cut.

The post should either be replaced or reinforced by some kind of metal mending plate.

No common on on the costs you were charged. You are in the UK so we don't know labour and material costs and, besides, I don't understand your numbers.

·
Registered
11,062 Posts
The problem is the notching of the posts. If that was how the original posts were done, I can understand why the new ones were notched, but IMHO is still a bad idea. I'm not surprised that the post split at the notch --- so the answer is yes, it should be expected.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Not to go on a tangent here, but I like to understand the intent behind the original design, the "bisecting" of the wood rails across it's diagonal section to mount on notched posts, what is the reasoning behind it? Cost wise, one could take a 4X4 and rip it down the middle to make two rails, then face mount the rails onto the posts, then the pickets onto the rails which is easier - easier to rip, easier to not have to notch the posts, and stronger posts. Is the intent so that the pickets will not stand off from the posts by the distance of the rails?

Here if that's the design intent they would cut the rails between posts and mount the rails like mid plates between studs but rotated 90 degrees and they sell SS brackets for that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is some shoddy work. $500 I guess. They should have done like Neal suggests or notched the panel bracing instead of the posts. That job will not hold up well over time. Just a guess, but I think you will end up spending another 600£ or so to repair it within 5 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts