DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the front panel off of my AC air handler looking for a common wire for a smart thermostat. When I took the panel off, I found a couple of wires have what I think is dried mold on it, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know what else it could be? These wires are above the coil. Whatever it is, it has damaged the outer wire insulation.



631255
631256
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,070 Posts
The spots on the cable sheath in the 2nd pic look mold-like, but the build up gunk looks to me like some kind of oily substance met a whole bunch of dust over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it damaged the Romex sheathing. And it’s the same wires in both pictures so I don’t think some of it would be mold and the rest something else.

Should I bother trying to clean it? Or just cut out and replace that section of romex?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top