DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a re-sale light fixture. When I looked at it, it has what looks like an extension cord but no ground wire. It requires 2-40 watt max lights. There is no smooth / ribbed wire as I've seen before.

Should I be ok to connect black and white to the existing wire on the light fixture without the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
As was suggest to you on Doityourself.com it would be best to use a meter to OHM out the wires to see which wire goes to the center pole in the socket, that would be your hot. (black wire)
A light does not "need" a ground to work. If you do have a ground in the wires feeding it there's often a green screw inside the light fixture house it can be attached to.
No screw, then drill a small hole and use a sheet metal screw or just cap off the ground and not use it.

·
Rob
1,036 Posts
No, this is not a trick question. I only mentioned the wattage of the bulbs to indicate there's not a lot of electricity flowing.
I was joking but the bulbs do not determine how much electricity is flowing. It is your electric panel that does that. There is just as much electricity flowing to that light as almost anything else in your home unless it is wire different, which I doubt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was joking but the bulbs do not determine how much electricity is flowing. It is your electric panel that does that. There is just as much electricity flowing to that light as almost anything else in your home unless it is wire different, which I doubt.
Why then was the fixture I purchased only wired with these 2 identical wires and not the traditional black and white?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
It's any ones guess as to why it's that way.
Sure one wires not silver and the other ones gold colored. Gold would most likely be the hot wire.
You have the answers to install it.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
It's any ones guess as to why it's that way.
Sure one wires not silver and the other ones gold colored. Gold would most likely be the hot wire.
You have the answers to install it.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,378 Posts
What do you mean "OHM the wires"? Does this determine positive and negative?
use an OHM meter to see which wire is the designated hot.

touch the test leads to the wire, and the center of the receptacle to see which wire is the feed wire. You will either get a reading or not, no reading: use the other wire.

If the wire is not a silver and a brass colored set, the ridged one is the hot. Which attaches to the black.

ED

·
Rob
1,036 Posts
Quote:
If the wire is not a silver and a brass colored set, the ridged one is the hot. Which attaches to the black.
The ridged or ribbed wire should be the neutral, attached to the white.

If it is not UL tested I would think it could be either. Just sayin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.