DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a federal Pacific fused 150 amp panel and the range and main are the pull out block type fuse holders. The top of the buss bars have a copper bug on each leg with two circuits running an air conditioner and the other a dryer. Both go to a 30 amp disconnect. I want to add two more bugs elow the original ones for a 20 amp circuit for a sauna with a disconnect. Is this legally accepted wiring? Thanks

Attachments

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I have a federal Pacific fused 150 amp panel

and the range and main are the pull out block type fuse holders.

The top of the buss bars have a copper bug on each leg with two circuits running an air conditioner and the other a dryer.
Both go to a 30 amp disconnect.

Is this legal wiring?
I don't think it was ever legal to do within a fuse/breaker panel.

I want to add two more bugs below the original ones
for a 20 amp circuit for a sauna with a disconnect.
I think it's time to bring your PANEL up to date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at a square D 200 amp 3060 panel. What do you do if the old circuits won't reach the breakers or the ground bars. What do you do for light while working in a dark basement?

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
What do you do if the old circuits won't reach...
Junction boxes.

What do you do for light while working in a dark basement?
Extension cord to the neighbors.

In MOST areas the new work will have to be inspected
before the power company will re-energize your house.
Plan your time well.

In many areas the new work will require a new feed wire.
Bumping up to 200A

Collectively... most homeowners will be advised to HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at a square D 200 amp 3060 panel. What do you do if the old circuits won't reach the breakers or the ground bars. What do you do for light while working in a dark basement?
You can use wire nuts with long pigtails to reach the breaker in the new panel. Be sure to match the size of the existing wire and use the proper sized breaker.

For light, just use a head light that straps around your forehead.

But if you're not a licensed electrician, I would strongly advise that you hire one instead of trying to do a major project like this yourself. If you're in SE Michigan, I could give you a good price on the project.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Supposedly the bus bars going down to the small branch circuit fuses are different from the bus bars going up to the service conductors so pulling the main fuse block will kill the small circuits. I am told that in some panels pulling the main will not kill the "range" fuse block. (In my grandmother's house there is a panel of this kind where pulling the main does kill the range circuit as well.

All the "pulls" needed to disconnect all of the house power need to be within reach while you are standing in one place (and there may be a maximum of six "pulls"). Those attachments between the top fuse block and the service conductors (the "bugs"?) are definitely illegal since, among other reasons, the fuses or fuse blocks that de-energize their circuits are some distance away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Allen
I'm looking into some rechargable led lights for when I pull the main any suggestions? How do you pull the main with those Hugh wires attached to it?
Actually I have two circuits under the bugs and one is on the left of the panel 6" and the other on the right about 16" away so are these ok? If I pull the main and the range if those bugs are dead I want to add two more and mount my 20 amp disconnect beside the one on the right is that okay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to home Depot to buy the DeWalt dcl061 because I already have the battery and charger. Then I will pull the meter install two bugs and a 20amp 220 disconnect mount it close to the panel and bingo all done not dead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts