DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the windows upstairs are like this in my 5 year old house (just bought it):

There's a fair amount of condensation accumulating in the gap, this picture was taken after I wiped it off and stuck some paper down inside to see.

If I should add caulking that's a DIY for me, but if it's much more than that it probably isn't. I don't know enough to tell if this is a sign that the installation is bad, or if someone just forgot to do that one step. Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Looks like a mechanically fastened window. That gasket material is normal. Condensation is because the Relative Humidity is too high or there isn't enough air circulation.
We have an HRV that runs 20/40 and RH is 31% (it's actually getting close to uncomfortably low)

When you say gasket like - that dark stuff is mold or gunk as far as I can tell. The downstairs has the same style windows and there is no gap?

Sorry not trying to be argumentative, just make up for my poor picture and add any information that could clarify

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the wet gunk mildew?

If it is, treat it with a non caustic mildewicide. Dry it, and they you can seal it.

If the rh is at 31% already, what are the outdoor temps and what is the blinds situation? Are they open?
Temps are 72-74f indoor and outdoor is 30f right now.. it's winter in south ontario, canada so that climate zone. There are blinds that are in varying states of open throughout the day.

I can feel a cold draft coming from the crack, so I assume it's not intentional, but I just didn't want to (clean it before, of course) seal it up and that make it worse somehow -- in my amateur brain, if there's air coming OUT of there, then there's air coming IN somewhere else? Like not knowing anything else about how windows are constructed, I guess I'm skeptical that air sealing would happen at the last mile so to speak

·
retired framer
63,207 Posts
Condensation will leave dust behind to and that can be food for that green on stuff that does not support growth like mold.

If you have drapes or blinds closed most of the time you will get condensation because the inside of the window is cold.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
There should be weep holes to let condensation out. See if there are and clean them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.