DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
I would say that the old panel is either a sub, or junction box now. That retro needs to be corrected, since who-ever did it, overstuffed the conduit for the pass through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't know how you can say that by those pictures. When that receptacle was originally installed, 3 pronged receptacles were rare, not because there was no ground, because nothing had 3 pronged cords. Most of the BX I run into is rated to be used as the ground, so for you to tell him that because there is romex in the panel there is no ground at his outside outlet is ridiculous.

He would need to meter from the hot at the receptacle to the box, then try to find the bonding strip in the BX...if its wired with BX. If it is conduit and the metal box shows a ground with a meter, there is a ground.
If it helps.

All the plug-ins thru out the house (minus the fridge, dryer) are the "old" 2 prong, even the ones in the bathroom.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I would say that the old panel is either a sub, or junction box now. That retro needs to be corrected, since who-ever did it, overstuffed the conduit for the pass through.
I apologize. When you say "corrected" you mean cleaned up or "Oh God, I'm going to burn to death"?

I am planning on having some rewire done in the bathroom. The only plugin is under the sink. You have to open the door under the vanity to get to it. I was going to have a Pro rewire it and bring it up top (add an extra plug also) and do the gfci. I could have it done at one time.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
I would fix what I can, outsource what you cannot do. Get a few bids on fixing the panels pass through, since you will need a few tools, that I do not know what you have. But with anyone, if they have the mood, they can do anything. As for re-wiring, do one circuit at a time, and if there is a crawlspace, you can use junction boxes, otherwise, that means cutting panels into the drywall, or cutouts, so you can pull new romex from each outlet, and back to the panel.

Plus side is, it now gives you a reason to move up the Kitchen & Bath remodel that you were looking at, if you had that in your mind, or your significant other had when you bought the house

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
From replacing an outlet to rewiring a house...unbelievable.

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm new to the electrical world.. but can someone tell me where the overfilled conduit is? I've looked at all the pictures and I can't seem to find it..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Might as well throw it all out on the table. It is how these things happen. You start with one project, it cascades to a bigger project. Especially old homes and electrical.

Might as well make it a bigger project.

If I replace the normal breakers that go to the bathroom/kitchen (or anyone else really) with gfci breaker's in the panel does that get it to code in regards to gfci protection (minus any local codes)? Would I still need the gfci recepticles in the actual rooms?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
well i think i would just demo it and start from scratch :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
All the gfci's wiill do, is give you peace of mind. Without grounds, your electrical system is still archiac and will cause headaches in te long run, if you have to plug anything in that requires proper grounding.

Put down on paper, the rooms that need gfci protection and then find out costs for breakers vs outlets. You will find out later, that places like outside, baths, kitchen, garage would benefit from a updates branch circuit for those areas, not just a band-aid.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Without grounds, your electrical system is still archiac
Again, you have no idea if there is an usable ground present in any of his wiring. If I missed that part in a post somewhere please show me where. But if you are assuming that because there isn't a a 3 pronged outlet installed that there isn't an usable ground in his home, you are giving him bad advice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
But if you are assuming that because there isn't a a 3 pronged outlet installed that there isn't an usable ground in his home, you are giving him bad advice.
True, my parents' home was wired with grounded cable to all the outlets and then two-prong outlets installed. That was in 1959.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Again, you have no idea if there is an usable ground present in any of his wiring. If I missed that part in a post somewhere please show me where. But if you are assuming that because there isn't a a 3 pronged outlet installed that there isn't an usable ground in his home, you are giving him bad advice.
K_buz, go back and look at his pictures. There are only a few circuits that actually have grounds, the rest of the system has no grounding what-so-ever to any of the other circuits. That means that the system is past its prime, and worth putting the effort in updating.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
K_buz, go back and look at his pictures. There are only a few circuits that actually have grounds, the rest of the system has no grounding what-so-ever to any of the other circuits. That means that the system is past its prime, and worth putting the effort in updating.

What pictures are you looking at...its all romex sleeved into the panel.

Reactions: stickboy1375

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Go and take a looke at the panel. There are maybe five or six grounds and that is it. Without pics of the old panel who lnows, the OP has a long road ahead, fixing that mess.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
I can SEE 12...possibly 13 grounds in that panel. If you count up the MWBC's and 2-wire 240V circuits, you should have 13 grounds coming into the panel...assuming all wires are romex. I see nothing...I repeat NOTHING wrong with that panel.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts