DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
retired framer
39,003 Posts
That 6x6 header was certainly a bearing header. It was an opening in an exterior wall. Will the rim board handle it... likely, but there is a splice just adjacent so who knows where that rim stops and starts.

A 2x 4' or 5' long could just be scabbed to the rim and done.
Yeah I think you are right, I was looking deeper, he could put a header higher in the wall and remove that at the bottom and have it level with the basement ceiling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like it's a non-issue. 1 question though... this pic:

https://www.diychatroom.com/attachm...5-header-load-bearing-2018-12-22-09.49.24.jpg

The floor joists are spliced and bearing point must be out of picture. Where does your rim board splice above the door opening? Typically rim board is doubled at openings with no header.
Hi Mark,

The floor joist splice is bearing on the central beam down the middle of the house, perpendicular to the exterior block wall and floor joists. The central beam is something like an 8x8" solid timber, and is supported by steel posts that span the length of the basement. The 4x6 rim joist/board bears on that central beam about a foot away from the opening.

The central beam is supported by the block wall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That 6x6 header was certainly a bearing header. It was an opening in an exterior wall. Will the rim board handle it... likely, but there is a splice just adjacent so who knows where that rim stops and starts.

A 2x 4' or 5' long could just be scabbed to the rim and done.
Just to clarify, I removed a rotted/termite eaten 2x6, the 4x4 spanning across the opening is still there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi guys, Happy New Year. I do appreciate the responses. If the advice I got from my neighbor was wrong, then I'll certainly want to revisit it. I tried to draw up the situation, because the photos can be confusing. There is a 2x4 sitting on top of the 4x4 rim joist that makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is. That causes the hole that was drilled for the HVAC lines to seems like a big issues, but those 2x4's are only supporting the floor boards, the 1st floor wall studs are bearing on the 4x4 rim joist, which is intact.

The bright yellow is what I've removed.

From what I can tell, the only potential issue would be supporting the weight of the single 2x6 1st floor wall stud that is sitting on top of the 4x4 rim joist spanning the opening. So if you think the 4x4 joist will start to bow from the weight of that 2x6 wall stud then I should put in a header?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
He is wrong, some one cut a hole in the foundation and the wall should be held up. It looks to me that a header could be put in the wall above the floor, but it your house so cover it up.

You could have said, I want to just cover this and I am going to keep asking until some one agrees.
I think I get what you're trying to say, so something like the attached drawing?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes but with the new picture you just posted the 4x end 2x4 or holding up the edge of the floor so that likely shoots a hole in my idea.
I should have realized this earlier, but there is actually a window directly above that opening. 3' window, 3' opening, so there is (presumably) already a header above the window.

Attachments

·
retired framer
39,003 Posts
I should have realized this earlier, but there is actually a window directly above that opening. 3' window, 3' opening, so there is (presumably) already a header above the window.
There you go, not much weight over the door.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts