DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Interior design Urban design Building Facade

Wood Building Font House Tree

Building Window Wood Floor Wood stain

This 3D model is a visual reference for work that we would like done on our house to open things up.
I have drawn on this totry to explain my thinking and to show how the house is currently laid out for context.

There is a Load Bearing wall we are removing and replacing with a beam. This used to be an exterior wall, but later the back patio was enclosed as part of more heated area.
There is also a Non-Load Bearing wall that runs adjacent to our kitchen that we would like to remove as well.
The idea would be to add a beam to the “Non-Load” section to carry the load of the “Load Bearing” section. Is that possible??

I am being told that we would not be able to design as sketched in this 3D model, and I don’t understand why not,

the Yellow indicates where existing walls are located (middle image)

the Red indicates the load bearing beam that will be replacing the wall.
Dotted Red line indicates how I think the load is transferring currently inside the existing wall that we plan to remove on the non-load bearing side.

I was told this “just can’t be done,” but I don’t understand why. If these two beams were tied where they meet (somehow), wouldn’t the load transfer to that beam and finally to the new column (see red arrows)?

I’m unskilled in this, so forgive me for not describing very well.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

thanks,

Attachments

· Registered
8,907 Posts
Not only the footings, that long brown header has to be heavy duty enough to support the red header. You should get structural engineer to spec the headers and footing sizes. Also kind of hanger you'll need at the intersection.

· Hammered Thumb
4,468 Posts
A beam that holds up the end of a separate beam is called a "girder" beam. It can be done as indicated above. However, I would suggest you hire a professional to lay out your remodel and review the existing house construction. Usually when you create atypical situations it means you have missed some generalities in your design or have not compromised on something which is a necessity in most remodels. Also, having a brick patio being captured for indoor space means that there are probably a lack of footings, too much movement, future problems with water, and DIY'd structural framing.

· Premium Member
784 Posts
What are the beams holding up? Walls, roof, or is that a ceiling? If you know a structural engineer to check the loads and footing requirements for any point loads the beams can be calculated by a lumber yard that can usually get a free size and load design, and quote from the beam manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.