DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to extend the existing walk-in closet into the area above the garage. The closet is off the master bathroom. I would only be utilizing the area on the left which seems larger and would not interfere with any of the supports. I have attached photos which were taken through small hole in closet wall. Attic Room Wood Beam Floor

Property Room Wall Door Home door

Wood Beam Room Attic Lumber

Attic Wood Room Wood stain Lumber

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was hoping to have a slider door entrance on the left side off the existing closet. Place a closet organizer perpendicular to current closet up against studs that are at 90 degrees. There is a support beam running horizontally under back wall of the closet. Unable to see any joists extending out over garage. Is it worth getting a contractor? Would it be possible to utilize space for light storage?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Those are trusses, and can not be modified, cut, altered, etc. They may support LIGHT storage, but not much. But if that is over a garage, the wall at the closet is, may be a fire wall. How thick is the drywall??

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Yeah a truss system, not really made for weight
You would be lucky if they support your weight without cracking the drywall finish below

It would probably be more $$ then its worth to try to renovate this & add beam support to carry weight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts