DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

Registered
As long as the posts are good and set in concrete it is not likely to want to lean
my thinking is the weight on the concrete. a 8"ish pier, put enough weight on it and it could start driving into the ground. overthinking perhaps, but we don't know what soil is there.

putting the beam inside the old posts would shorten the span to 15'3"
one of your drawings ? my minds eye needs glass's :D 馃槦

Registered
my thinking is the weight on the concrete.
and, if the posts are set like fence posts = post in the hole, concrete "around" it, the post could push through the concrete into the ground. no a catastrophe, as this would be seen and then corrected, but why not nip it in the bud.

retired framer
my thinking is the weight on the concrete. a 8"ish pier, put enough weight on it and it could start driving into the ground. overthinking perhaps, but we don't know what soil is there.
one of your drawings ? my minds eye needs glass's :D 馃槦
If the post is rotten you would jack it up cut the post dig down and jack hammer the concrete and add new.
Assuming the joists are a full 16 ft.

Registered
Y鈥檃ll are nuts. You鈥檙e looking for the cheap easy solution because you don鈥檛 like the facts. No matter how much you want the existing 2x8 joists to work 鈥 it won鈥檛 work with the existing column locations. The only way to make 2x8 work is to shorten the span, but even then it won鈥檛 make 16 ft overall even with cantilever. You need two rows of columns, or larger joists.

265790D6-9D9C-4F86-A870-ECBC99C29F87.jpeg

retired framer
Y鈥檃ll are nuts. You鈥檙e looking for the cheap easy solution because you don鈥檛 like the facts. No matter how much you want the existing 2x8 joists to work 鈥 it won鈥檛 work with the existing column locations. The only way to make 2x8 work is to shorten the span, but even then it won鈥檛 make 16 ft overall even with cantilever. You need two rows of columns, or larger joists.
Ed no need to be rude, I did ask some one to check and we do use 2x10 for 16 ft in floors
But what do you get with 2x10 sistered to a 2x8? Would that give us more.
Or we change the suggestion to 2x12

Registered
Y鈥檃ll are nuts.
we know, whats you point ? :LOL:

No matter how much you want the existing 2x8 joists to work 鈥 it won鈥檛 work with the existing column locations. The only way to make 2x8 work is to shorten the span, but even then it won鈥檛 make 16 ft overall even with cantilever. You need two rows of columns, or larger joists.
we know, i bet he wants larger joists, what i would do. he is probably chewing on the cost/labor aspect right now before pulling the trigger.

Registered
Neal 鈥 didn鈥檛 mean to be rude. But its like asking 鈥渉ow can i push 30 amps down a 16 ga 100 ft extension cord, cuz i already have the cord and don鈥檛 want to buy a new one鈥?

2x10 @ 16鈥 is good for 14 ft. Closer. But thats a lot of lumber to buy and install.

Registered
The unfortunate part is 鈥 the deck looks like someone took time to do a neat job. They just missed a couple of important details.

Looks like 鈥淎鈥 are standard deck screws 鈥 inappropriate for the application. 鈥淏鈥 should be nails or screws rated for the application. I don鈥檛 recognize the heads 鈥 are they acceptable for shear?

756C0053-7A69-4843-8377-6530FA4D3905.jpeg

Registered
If I am seeing it correctly, the outer end looks like it has 5-2x8s supported by 1-2x8. Half of those 5 is supported by the house, the other half by the rim joist. I would have them supported by 3 on the outer end. And the posts are not under the supported member. It could have a punching shear failure like the pool deck on the high rise in FL.

Registered
I did ask some one to check and we do use 2x10 for 16 ft in floors
I really don't want to add to the confusion, but I'll point out that the joist span table in the AWC deck guide reduces has a reduction in the allowable span because the joists are used in "wet conditions". So there's a bit of difference in the "prescriptive" allowable span between joists in a dry building and joists for an outdoor deck.

Registered
We are geting answers on the span and it seems like a beam at 12 ft and cutting the deck at 14 would be the better answer.
If it were my deck 鈥 my wife would take serious umbrage to making the deck smaller. She would say 鈥渇ind a better solution鈥. Actually, she would probably say something like 鈥渄o whatever you want鈥 and in THAT tone of voice. And i would understand.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
i am sure you went to bedrock ? = golden (y)
I didn鈥檛 build the deck. I鈥檇 have to dig down to find out for sure.

The unfortunate part is 鈥 the deck looks like someone took time to do a neat job. They just missed a couple of important details.

Looks like 鈥淎鈥 are standard deck screws 鈥 inappropriate for the application. 鈥淏鈥 should be nails or screws rated for the application. I don鈥檛 recognize the heads 鈥 are they acceptable for shear?

View attachment 658546
Yep looks like standard deck screws were used on some of the hangers.

If it were my deck 鈥 my wife would take serious umbrage to making the deck smaller. She would say 鈥渇ind a better solution鈥. Actually, she would probably say something like 鈥渄o whatever you want鈥 and in THAT tone of voice. And i would understand.
Haha wife already said your not tearing down and building new! We also don鈥檛 like the idea of a smaller deck.

It鈥檚 a lot of cost and labor to upgrade the size of the joist. The simple solution is to add a beam somewhere between 8ft and 12ft from the house. Leave the original post as is. Install a couple tie backs and replace the joist hanger screws with structural screws / nails.

I really appreciate all the advice and time everyone has spent! Thank you all :)

Registered
LOL
and once you perform the work, it will be referred to as "that deck" instead of "our deck" :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I was looking at span tables in the IRC and spans are dependent on species (PT-SYP #2?), spacing, live load and dead load. At my NY house we have a 50 PSF ground snow load which equals a 35 PSF roof snow load. Depending on where you live you could have a substantial snow load with drifting or no snow at all.

Reactions: Nealtw
41 - 60 of 74 Posts