DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
retired framer
49,104 Posts
Not currently but is under construction.

view from inside can see the carriage bolt goes through rim board.
Peak above the insulation and see the direction of the subfloor boards, 45 degree to the joists would good?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
On the theory that almost anything is better … a double 2x10 on 3 @ 4x4 posts half way between the house and the end of the deck.

52DD7157-B0E5-475D-A550-9F847642FB2F.jpeg

Better would be a double or triple 2x12 on 3 @ 6x6 posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So he could put the beam 12' the span would 11' 9" and cut the deck at 14 ft 3" and be in code. Or leave the old posts where they are.
I like this idea. If I cut out the old post, left the deck length at 16’, and added diagonal bracing for the cantilever section, would that be ok?

·
retired framer
49,104 Posts
yep it’s 45
There is not much holding the top of the rim joist in place. The posts in concrete for a deck is not the normal but in this case they stop the deck from pulling away
Today there is a tie back that ties the deck joist to the floor joist to the inside, they would have maybe three on a deck like that.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I like this idea. If I cut out the old post, left the deck length at 16’, and added diagonal bracing for the cantilever section, would that be ok?
NO! Your cantilever would be limited to about 2 feet.

The joists are badly undersized. You could remove and replace all the joists, that would be very drastic. Adding a beam to the existing construction would be less work and a reasonable improvement.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Sistering what? He might not like the additional beam and posts, but he will like it even less when the deck collapses under load and his homeowners insurance takes a big hit. Or somebody dies with a splintered 2x jammed in their gut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Safety is most important to me. After finishing the basement I’d like to use the space under the deck for a patio. Adding 3 posts would be a nuisance. Replacing the 2x8 joist with 2x12 would span 16’ but seems like a lot of work and cost.

I think I could live with moving the post to 12’, having a 2’ overhang and cutting the deck back to 14’.

Would love to hear other options. I’ve wondered if adding additional joist between each so that joist is 8” oc would help or sistering each joist with another 2x8.

·
retired framer
49,104 Posts
sister joists. i am certainly not a span expert, so my idea of 2x12 may be overkill, or not.
You night have the answer.
2x10 max span, some one can double check but I think is 16ft
If the joists were sistered with 2x10.
He then could install a 2Ply 2x10 beam next to the posts. and add 4x4 next to and bolted to the posts with the 4x4 sitting on the concrete at the ground.

·
retired framer
49,104 Posts
Safety is most important to me. After finishing the basement I’d like to use the space under the deck for a patio. Adding 3 posts would be a nuisance. Replacing the 2x8 joist with 2x12 would span 16’ but seems like a lot of work and cost.

I think I could live with moving the post to 12’, having a 2’ overhang and cutting the deck back to 14’.

Would love to hear other options. I’ve wondered if adding additional joist between each so that joist is 8” oc would help or sistering each joist with another 2x8.
I just posted a suggestion, which I think would be about equal to shortening the deck.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
with the spans, we have to remember the loads. decks like this can have a lot of people on them.

the posts, it may be overkill, but adding another right next to, as close as possible, will do the job, not get in the way, and would actually look nice. just an idea.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
There is not much holding the top of the rim joist in place. The posts in concrete for a deck is not the normal but in this case they stop the deck from pulling away
Today there is a tie back that ties the deck joist to the floor joist to the inside, they would have maybe three on a deck like that.
View attachment 658465
these here, absolute must imo. i would do 1 every 3rd joist = SAFETY

·
retired framer
49,104 Posts
with the spans, we have to remember the loads. decks like this can have a lot of people on them.

the posts, it may be overkill, but adding another right next to, as close as possible, will do the job, not get in the way, and would actually look nice. just an idea.
these here, absolute must imo. i would do 1 every 3rd joist = SAFETY
As long as the posts are good and set in concrete it is not likely to want to lean away but some would make it safer after the new are sistered.
We do 16 ft span in bedrooms and double in kitchens with 2x10s.
I think sistered to 2x8 it would be good. and putting the beam inside the old posts would shorten the span to 15'3"

21 - 40 of 74 Posts