1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
439 Posts
Exactly what is it we are looking at?

Is that the electrical meter?

What is a CU?

There appears to be an inspection tag, what is that for?

Was the drain pipe there when the inspection was made?

Never seen anything like that on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the electrical meter plus consumer unit (fuse box or circuit breakers). This is an old house (circa 1920) and the previous owners have installed a shower room upstairs in an area where there originally was no plumbing. So to connect the shower to the house plumbing, they've installed that pipe.

The inspection label predates the installation of the pipe.

Even if this is not dangerous, does this violate any building regulations for plumbing or electrical work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
YES! That is absolutely dangerous!

I guess this was not a property sale ( which would have one or more technical inspections as condition of sale most likely ) but a rental?

I personally like to see a lot of separation between plumbing and electrical work, and especially for a panel / fuse box, there are rules about access and clearance. It tends to be only a matter of time before there is a leak in with the shower drain, water plumbing, over flow incident in the bathroom. And, that hole in the ceiling lines right up with ... plus the various little joints are also something where drips can be shed ...

Now there could be a difference in the UK ... but in NA, the positioning is a no - go.

3ft x 3 ft x 6 ft 6 height clearance rule, and nothing else above the panel + 6 feet ... or anything that could be wet, leak, etc needs counter measures ( drip shield, flashing, ... ) to protect the electrical equipment from leaks, dripping water, ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately this was a house purchase. I had a building survey done prior to completing the sale but there was no mention of this on the report. I didn't commission an electrical inspection but wish I had now.

That said, presumably this would be quite easy to fix by either moving the box down the wall a little or encasing it in a box?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't think it's dangerous as all the electrics are protected. it could be costly if it fails. You might be able to add some sort of flashing/deflector as a just-in-case the drain leaks. I do wonder what the small beige box is that'r right close to the pipe.

·
Wanna Be
558 Posts
a plumbing compression union above a circuit breaker? I think it comes down to the question is that a drain or a vent? IF it's a vent then ok. if it's a drain then that makes me nervous because the compression union has only a limited life little plastic washer that is holding the water back. how much is draining down that pipe?
the placement is definitely bad, but in practice is it so bad that it needs to be moved if the pipe only has air or one little sink draining?

·
Ret. Elec. Contractor
472 Posts
There are no codes that state a drain pipe can not be above electrical
NEC 110.26(E)(1)
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the widthand depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
NEC 110.26(E)(1)
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the widthand depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.
That is for electrical panels, this is not a panel, it doesn't apply

1 - 20 of 31 Posts