DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just told by my wife that the igniter for one of the four burners on our Jenn Air gas cooktop "fell through" the hole that it used to be in. So, I turned off the gas, unplugged the cooktop, then took off the ceramic cap above the burner. I was going to unscrew the burner to try to fish out the igniter, but what I found was that that I couldn't get my screwdriver into the screw heads -- they seem to have corroded very badly over the last 20 years or so of use and there's pretty much no head pattern left on the top of the screws. I tried to use various sizes of torx bits to get the screws out, but I couldn't get the screws to unscrew.

Here are some pictures of what the situation looks like:

I was also told that sometimes turning one of the knobs will randomly fire a different igniter, but that's maybe a different problem...

So is this fixable, or am I looking at replacing the whole thing?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,919 Posts
Were you using a "screw" driver as in a Phillips, or an M Tork.

·
K&B Designer
350 Posts
Soak it in some Kroil first. After you get this one fixed, think about doing maintenance on the rest of them and replacing more bolts and igniters and cleaning the whole thing well. A couple of hours of that and you might get 20 more years out of it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would drill the heads off, remove the burner and use vice grips to remove the rest of the screw. Those were torx head screws, not Philips.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a screw extractor is your best bet

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on how much of the fastener head is left un-rusted, I'd take a dremel-type disc cutter and cut a groove across the top of the head of the fastener to use a flat-head screwdriver to remove it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried screw extractors but they didn't work. The only thing I could do is just drill the screws out and try to replace them. Once I got the heads off, the burners were so corroded and grease-soaked I just ended up throwing it out.

Thanks anyway guys - great suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts