DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is this Cherry or Maple?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Develin 
#1 ·
Hey, so I'm new to this forum and thought I'd break the ice with an easy question. Until recently i thought my 20 year old cabinets were made of maple. However, now I'm leaning towards cherry, any thoughts? I attached some random photos of the veneer and some solid trim, Thanks Mike W

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I posted the same question on another forum and the general consenses is red Birch panels alder frames, also old Nutone birch cabinets. a positive I.D is harder than i thought. But i can't disagree with Birch, although, I was hoping for Cherry. Thanks, Mike W:thumbup:

#6 ·
I'm thinking birch, because of the grain patterns. Ash has a very similiar grain patterm, but has much more "open" pores than seems to be visible. I would put money against the suggestion of poplar. I don't believe cherry because it seems to have too much grain, and 20 something year old cherry would be much darker by now IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.