DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is this Cherry or Maple?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Develin 
#1 ·
Hey, so I'm new to this forum and thought I'd break the ice with an easy question. Until recently i thought my 20 year old cabinets were made of maple. However, now I'm leaning towards cherry, any thoughts? I attached some random photos of the veneer and some solid trim, Thanks Mike W

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm thinking birch, because of the grain patterns. Ash has a very similiar grain patterm, but has much more "open" pores than seems to be visible. I would put money against the suggestion of poplar. I don't believe cherry because it seems to have too much grain, and 20 something year old cherry would be much darker by now IMO.

#9 ·
I posted the same question on another forum and the general consenses is red Birch panels alder frames, also old Nutone birch cabinets. a positive I.D is harder than i thought. But i can't disagree with Birch, although, I was hoping for Cherry. Thanks, Mike W:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.