DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to send in a sample to get it checked. I understand that is the only way to know - But want to know if anyone experienced can advise me from the picture:
Food Wood Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

There are several on google that show animal hair fibers, and then asbestos as a more fuzzy or "frizzy" looking strands next to it.
These white "strands" are flexible, like hair. They don't seem to shatter and fray when touched. They do seem like they're splitting off at the ends.

I looked under a jewelry magnifying glass - but can't tell.
Really hoping it's not asbestos because I knocked down a good portion of an old plaster wall of this stuff in a bathroom (can't say how old but def in the time period where asbestos was used). I was wearing a decent dust mask, but nothing rated for P100, asbestos, etc. Also the dust for sure went into the house as I was wheeling out debris in a wagon. I was really dumb. I thought it'd be obvious if I started hitting fibrous material, and kind of went trigger happy on getting this wall down to the studs so I can re-do my bathroom.

If it is asbestos, I'm hoping just exposure for one job won't do me in 20 years later... It's hard to find information that's not super broad about it. Everything says exposure just increases your risk. So am worried, but also heard it's more like people working with it for years, etc. and aren't taking proper precautions are at the highest risk.

Thanks if anyone can offer advice.

·
Super Moderator
23,507 Posts
Those strings sticking out are not typical of asbestos. It normally shows as fibers that are not visible to the naked eye, not strings.
My first guess would be those are wires from a radiant heat system but I can't see close enough to know if they are wires or strings of some sort.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those strings sticking out are not typical of asbestos. It normally shows as fibers that are not visible to the naked eye, not strings.
My first guess would be those are wires from a radiant heat system but I can't see close enough to know if they are wires or strings of some sort.
You think they'd be wires? They're about the size of a thick hair... The chunk came from a plaster "sheet rock" type board that was near my shower. It was covering a "lath and plaster" type wall. It's gotta be really old. My goal was to take that all out, down to the studs, and then put cement board and regular sheet rock.

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
197 Posts
Needs to be tested but my guess is the rough stuff is cement based. Back in the very early 1900's the used a thick mud bed on wet walls before they white coated or tiled. They put all kind of stuff in their plaster for reinforcing, everything from animal hair to cotton to string.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the reasoning behind this?
I just wanted to start fresh with the studs and new walls. The walls have all different materials on them and are not flush with each other. There was a layer of drywall behind the plastic shower encasement. Some of it had black mold. Took that off, then I'm left with this layer of plaster layer, over "lath and plaster". There was holes in that, some of it falling apart, so I wasn't planning on putting my new cement board over crumbling plaster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Needs to be tested but my guess is the rough stuff is cement based. Back in the very early 1900's the used a thick mud bed on wet walls before they white coated or tiled. They put all kind of stuff in their plaster for reinforcing, everything from animal hair to cotton to string.
Thanks, I read on another post that around 1900's, it was horse hair plaster over the wooden laths. Then a finish later of some other plaster over that. That pretty much looks like what I've got in the picture there. I also read it was rare to have asbestos in residential plaster - It was used mostly in commercial buildings. But still I have no idea... I'm also reading there could be microscopic fibers that I can't even see.
But from a jewelry magnifer, I can't see any "fuzz" or things that look thinner than this horse hair (hopefully) material.

·
Naildriver
16,927 Posts
You don't want sheetrock as a final layer. Maybe you were referring to having cement board in the wet area and sheetrock in the dry area. That would be optimal. I was taking it that you were going to layer it cbu then sheetrock on top of that.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Asbestos fibers are very hard or impossible to see without magnification. It takes about 30 years to have bad effects. A one time exposure has little chance of harming you. It is exponentially more dangerous if you are a smoker.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You think they'd be wires? They're about the size of a thick hair... The chunk came from a plaster "sheet rock" type board that was near my shower. It was covering a "lath and plaster" type wall. It's gotta be really old. My goal was to take that all out, down to the studs, and then put cement board and regular sheet rock.
There were many things used in the early fibrous plaster to help prevent cracking.
Examples of what was used:
Slag-wool, reeds , wood- wool, Goat Hair, Hemp & Jute.
The plaster in the photo appears to be from around 1864 thru 1930 which would consist of Quick Lime Sand & sometimes fibers were added as selected by the plasterer.
As for asbestos I would say it does not contain any " still best to have it tested"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts