DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, we bought our house about 10 years ago, and recently decided to re-roof, as the roof was last put on ~1980. (We had considered going Solar, hence the decision to reroof. We later had to abandon that plan, but I digress.)

Anyhow, the roofer said that he found that there were five layers of shingles, and from what I've heard even three layers are surprising, much less five.

The roof looked like this. I draw your The black arrows are drawing your attention to a functional border, possibly vinyl(?), bordering the roofing on the front living room.

After the roofer was done, that area now looks like this:

It's... not supposed to look like that, no? (I'm not being facetious, I'm actually asking.)

More importantly, are we being paranoid, or are there potential problems with rain and so forth leaking into the house because of this?

The roofing on rear of the house (which we did not touch, because it was reroofed recently) has this metal flashing to have water run off onto the shingles.

Isn't this what's supposed to be on the front roofing border as well?

With thanks for any insights...
Jonny Roof

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The large gap is because the siding was installed over the 5 layers of roofing.
It doesn't look like it's perfect, but that may not happen without a reside as well.
A piece of flashing can be installed to hide the new steps. It should go up and under the siding as well.
Thanks for the thoughts, cheers! Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for me to simply install some flashing...

Followup question, though: If it takes me a week or three to get up the install the flashing, are there risks of leaks in the meantime (assuming weather) or is this likely more of an aesthetic issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Good luck getting the roofer back to fix this, really need someone that does siding.

·
11,730 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.