DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
appliances
2,243 Posts
My B&K meter has 20,000 counts, for a very close look at what you're measuring.

Squeeze as much info as you can out of every reading. The HD can't help you with this, but we all can. :)

The OEMs don't know what the end users want or will pay for, so they offer many things & see what sells or doesn't sell. It's a democracy & each dollar is a vote! :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I get a substantial discount through my employer, depending on the product. I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you should ALSO obtain a "cheap" analog meter - such as this.
This meter has an impedance of 2 kΩ/Volt.
Hence, on the 250 V scale, its Impedance would be 500 kΩ (or 0.5 MΩ)

If you are going to use the meter only for "automotive and home electrical testing" (initially), it would probably be better to purchase a (cheap) analog meter - such as the above - and a (cheap) digital meter, such as 7 Fn Digital Multimeter AC DC Voltage Volt 10 Amp Current Resistance Ohm Meter | eBay - for more "precise" readings - for a total of about $16.00

If you find that you do "need" it, the "Klein model# MM400" could come later and you would have gained experience for only $16.00.
(Also, if you happen to damage either of these lower priced meters, you would be "down" only $8.00 or so.)
I don't disagree with the comments about low impedance meters, but the meters you linked, I'm sure they'll work, but they're cheap crap in brittle polystyrene cases that will break when you drop them, the cover to the battery compartment will break the third time you open it, and the leads are those nasty PVC insulated wires that won't straighten out, and will eventually crack where they flex. Sure, they'll probably serve the purpose, for a while anyway, but there's something to be said for paying a little extra for a good quality tool.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts