DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on widening my garage door in the near future and trying to get a better idea of the options available for lintels when that time comes.

I will most likely hire someone to handle the brick rework and lintel replacement, but I like to be familiar enough with the subject not to know what I want and why I want it.

Seems like a simple piece of properly sized steel angle was pretty common, but in researching the subject I have run across more engineered variations like below, but the ones I have seen seem to be mostly overseas.

Is there something similiar used in USA and is there a noticable benefit in going that route over the basic steel angle?

Property Rectangle Brick Brickwork Wood

·
retired framer
59,755 Posts
If it is a brick building then you have to consider the weight of the roof as well as the weight of the brick.
If it is wood structure behind the brick, then your attention should be about the beam you need behind the brick. And then the lintel would be just for the brick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a brick building then you have to consider the weight of the roof as well as the weight of the brick.
If it is wood structure behind the brick, then your attention should be about the beam you need behind the brick. And then the lintel would be just for the brick.
It is a wood structure and the lintel would just be for the brick

Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Parallel

Here's a cutaway of the assembly

·
Registered
188 Posts
The lintel you are showing is a UK based company. There are others such as Catnic. They make various types that would span 10ft. I would think that there would be similar in the USA.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The first picture looks like a flashing detail and not really a lintel for a10 foot span I would want a 5 “x 7 “x 11’ x 5/16 “angle iron with three eights or half inch holes punched every 16 inches and lag bolts into the header. This will give you 6 inches of bearing on each side of the opening,And then use sticky flashing all underneath the house wrap so water goes down don’t forget your weed vents every two brick wideOn the first course.
A qualified bricklayer will be able to source the angle for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lintel you are showing is a UK based company. There are others such as Catnic. They make various types that would span 10ft. I would think that there would be similar in the USA.
IG Lintels, Catnic & Keystone all make something similar, but oddly I can't find anything similar that is US based.

The first picture looks like a flashing detail and not really a lintel for a10 foot span I would want a 5 “x 7 “x 11’ x 5/16 “angle iron with three eights or half inch holes punched every 16 inches and lag bolts into the header. This will give you 6 inches of bearing on each side of the opening,And then use sticky flashing all underneath the house wrap so water goes down don’t forget your weed vents every two brick wideOn the first course.
A qualified bricklayer will be able to source the angle for you
Thanks for going into the specifics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts