DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I tiled my kitchen and got ahead of myself. Now I cannot reach and cannot step on the tile for 24 hours. Tomorrow the thinset smudges will be dry and I might have to scrape some thinset off the tile until all my finger nails and are gone. Is there anything that I can use to clean the tiles? I also got some thinset ridges here and there so I have to scrape out between the tiles with a screw driver :/. When I placed the tile in the thinset I slide the tile side to side to breakdown the ridges to get complete coverage. But i always get thinset to squeeze out between the tiles. Is that normal?

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
you may be mixing your thinset a little to thin. comb the mud out in staright lines for a more even installation, this also helps the air escape as the mud is compressed and avoids air pockets (hollow tiles). be carful with that screwdriver, you can easily chip the tiles with it or mar the suface with a metallic burn. HD sell several tools to remove thinset.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
forgot to mention, sulfamic is good for removing concrete stains and grout haze from tiles. you can find it at HD in the tile section.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You can get on those tiles in 12 hours---Use a razor blade or utility knife blade to remove the stuff on the surface.

A utility knife is good for scraping out the squeeze up----if you find yourself in real trouble(by waiting 24 hours?) use a Multi Tool with a grout cutting blade---Harbor Freight has a nice cheap one and the blades are about 1/2 the price of the fancy brands.

----Mike---

1 - 4 of 4 Posts