DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five gang masonry box set into the concrete block wall.

The box is located inside an atrium, with a total of ten switches controlling all the exterior lights.

Here is a picture of the switches, and the corresponding labels for each switch. I have wired the switches such that the location of the lights each switch controls maps to the location of the switch in relation to the box. Otherwise with ten switches it can get confusing.

After I wired them I realized one set of lights should be controlled dusk till dawn instead of with an on/off switch. Well it would be nice to have an on/off manual override.

The top middle switch controls two pole lights and two step lights at the front entrance.

I think the wires to each pole and step are encased in the concrete stairs. There is no easy way to have a photocell on the outside for all four lights. So I am thinking of a way to mount a photocell on the inside.

But I have ten switches and each one serves a purpose. It is difficult to rearrange them due to their location on the box. I don't want to move a "center" light out of the "center gang".

Can you think of anyway that the two switches in the middle can be converted to control the pole/step lights via a photocell, as well as the center recessed lights? Is there a decora switch where half of it is a switch and the other half a "blank" that I can drill a KO hole to fit in a photocell? Or any other ideas?

·
Electrician (Retired)
111 Posts
As mentioned they make a button photo cell that can be mounted in one of the posts. I assume this system is put together with conduit so it shouldn't be to hard once you find the switch leg to the first fixture. From there it's a matter of getting the wiring into one of the poles and you should be good to go. As mentioned just leave that switch on all the time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why carn't you mount a outdoors rated
Photocell on one of the exterior poles ?
Leave the switch on.
Because the exterior lights were installed back in 1976 and I could not find a single point where I can insert a photocell outside for the four individual lights. I suspect there is a buried junction box somewhere because when opening the poles, the step lights all I saw was a metal box with one hot and one neutral coming in. The only place I have identified where they came together is at the light switch box on the atrium inside where I posted the picture. From there it goes down into the ground via a conduit, and somewhere else it branched into four. It does not run to one fixture and next and next and next. Even if I inserted two photocells one for each pole light right on the pole, I wouldn't be able to control the step lights. Not without chiseling a hole in the solid concrete steps by installing four photocells. If I were to do that I might as well chisel into the atrium wall a one gang box for one photo cell right above or below the 5 gang box...which is what I am trying to avoid.

Looked all over couldn't find that box on the outside, have opened all boxes nearby.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thought. Put the bottom recessed light of switch on another switch and put a timer in that location of the switch box for your front lights or put those two switched leggs . front and back lighting on that timer.

If neutrals and circuit layout permit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Nother thought.

If you can send a snake in to that conduit. You may be able to tell which direction it goes and how far out it goes. You may also be able to bang it when it stops and have someone listen or feel for where it may be.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Since all of the circuits in that box control lighting are they all set off the same breaker in your panel? You can locate an exterior photocell someplace else on your property and have it control a relay that turn the power on and off to all of the circuits in that box. That way you can also be sure not to leave any exterior lights on during the day. If they all aren't fit from one circuit you could just put the photocell on the circuit that controls the lights.

This idea will definitely work as long as the circuit doesn't control something that you want to have on during the daytime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts