DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two gang box that is quite shallow. It used to have two toggle switches but I have switched out two dimmer switches and of course those take up more room.

With the wires and nuts behind the switches I have no choice but to take out the flat mud ring and replace with a 1/2" raised mud ring which gives enough room for the dimmers now but the switch plate is 1/2" off the wall.

Is there some sort of a spacer I can use to fill this gap?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you change the box out to a deeper one or is the thickness of the wall hindering that option, otherwise, you could make a nice picture frame out of wood to the thickness required.
I can't, behind it is a concrete wall so unless I start to tear out more sheetrock and bring out my hammer and chisel it's not going to work.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I would just make a spacer out of wood with a decorative edge to jazz it up a touch. :)
Can I roll up some play dough into the shape and size of a pencil, press it into the space all the way around, smooth it off and paint it?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Can I roll up some play dough into the shape and size of a pencil, press it into the space all the way around, smooth it off and paint it?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You can do whatever you want in your house. If you ever want to sell it.....that's a different story.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Wiremold Extension Box

1 - 9 of 9 Posts