DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Generac 8kw standby generator. Today we had a power outage. The generator came on, but I got no power.
I found there was 123v in both the wires going from the generator to the transfer switch, but there was only 3v between them; not the 240v I expected. A replay was open so no power was getting to the circuits; presumably it requires 240v.
I called the company that services it and they suggested I manually turn the generator off and back on. That fixed it. I got 240v at the transfer switch and power to my circuits. The service man said I had reflashed the coils, whatever that is. He wasn't very concerned about it. Utility power came back in 10 minutes.
Later in the day I opened the 50a circuit in my panel going to the transfer switch to simulate a power outage. The generator came on and worked normally.

So...
What happened to my generator? Is it a common problem? Does it require any service?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,932 Posts
The generator needs a bit of magnetism to begin generating electricity. Once it starts spinning the magnetism builds until reaches the proper amount. If the magnetism fades too low it can get started and needs to be flashed it magnetize the stator again.
This usually happen when a unit is not run long periods. Does your unit get exercised. Many units will start automatically once a week for ten minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
I have a 3 year old Generac 8kw standby generator. Today we had a power outage. The generator came on, but I got no power.
I found there was 123v in both the wires going from the generator to the transfer switch, but there was only 3v between them; not the 240v I expected. A replay was open so no power was getting to the circuits; presumably it requires 240v.
I called the company that services it and they suggested I manually turn the generator off and back on. That fixed it. I got 240v at the transfer switch and power to my circuits. The service man said I had reflashed the coils, whatever that is. He wasn't very concerned about it. Utility power came back in 10 minutes.
Later in the day I opened the 50a circuit in my panel going to the transfer switch to simulate a power outage. The generator came on and worked normally.

So...
What happened to my generator? Is it a common problem? Does it require any service?
Run it for several minutes every few weeks and it should be ready when you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Running the geeny unloaded may stop the
Motor gumming up
But it will not help the alternator !
You need to run it loaded.
Otherwise the residual magnatism
of the feild will fade away.
The only way to keep it up
is to run current thru it regularly.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top