DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
HD is not just lower end, but believe it or not, many many times- HIGHER price. Yeah. Compare to the local electrical/plumbing/paint/ supply mom/pop stores, etc etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have no idea what you are looking for, but try Amazon. I just bought a Panasonic bath fan for my bathroom reno...couldn't find anything at the local Lowes. If you are a Prime member, then you can get two day shipping for free...and one day for $3.99. I had a 109 lb. generator shipped over night, next day for $3.99. I think it's a membership...but I find it worth it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
LOL...and so it does, Bud...hmmm. Let's end this thing...I think the guy must have found what he was looking for by now. I get busy doing a lot of stuff...and like a couple of others...didn't look at the OP's date. Got to pay more attention to detail...got to pay more attention to detail...got to pay...more....

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Y'all. I would argue this one of the great evergreen topics on this site and deserves continuing postings. As the box stores squeeze those purveyors of decent plumbing, electrical, drywall tools, fasteners, paint brushes and stuff out of the market. With only the hideous sub-standard crap they offer to replace it? More and more people will be asking where to buy something standard or even seemingly upscale.

I am essentially out of the game now but still estimate for others. And play gopher for things. There is an HD really close. In two years I have been in it twice. Once to buy something. Once to return it when it broke.

Two independent hardware stores are near also. I can call them, describe what I need, order it, and have it delivered to a job site. They don't sell hardware in celophane three packs and if they don't have it they get it within a day. I don't have to communicate with dullards in orange aprons what I want. And I know I am being unfair because I was not in possession of all knowledge when I was a kid either. Thank God I was not asked to learn anything about the trades in a box store though.

The independents are soon gone. Cannot compete. One near me sells high end door hardware. HD has scrap skunk metal cast crap for half price. Plate it cheaply, spray it with laquer. Who cares. Might turn green when it touches your fingers but you know, I am not convinced we care anymore.

I hope this thread stays alive. Sorry some disagree.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Or a local specialty shop. Yesterday I passed a Kitchen Cabinet store and they had on display a huge cabinet with a space for a large big screen TV. I guess people want to watch TV while they eat.

As far as chains go, there's Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware for smaller fixtures and hardware.
we do use cabinetry in other rooms too ;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts