DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DIY friends! I live in Washington, DC, and I am currently having a new dry-laid flagstone patio installed (variegated Pennsylvania bluestone). I love the look of the flagstone when it’s wet, but it looks faded and too light when dry. I was going to just get a sealer, but I have read some disaster stories of a sealer being applied, and then the outer layer of the stone peeling off after moisture from below freezes inside the layers and has nowhere to go.

Does anyone know of any sort of stain I could purchase that would bring out the colors / offer a wet/darker look, without the risk of delamination after a bunch of freeze-thaw cycles? Maybe something that penetrates the stone but doesn’t seal it, so moisture can get through?

Thanks in advance!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,384 Posts
Hello DIY friends! I live in Washington, DC, and I am currently having a new dry-laid flagstone patio installed (variegated Pennsylvania bluestone). I love the look of the flagstone when it’s wet, but it looks faded and too light when dry. I was going to just get a sealer, but I have read some disaster stories of a sealer being applied, and then the outer layer of the stone peeling off after moisture from below freezes inside the layers and has nowhere to go.

Does anyone know of any sort of stain I could purchase that would bring out the colors / offer a wet/darker look, without the risk of delamination after a bunch of freeze-thaw cycles? Maybe something that penetrates the stone but doesn’t seal it, so moisture can get through?

Thanks in advance!
You would want a water based penetrant stain.

You need to research those.

Or wait for someone that has used a product that you are asking about.

I do not think that your particular stone de-laminates though.

ED

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,970 Posts
I've used this stuff professionally on dozens of jobs over the last 20 years, and have no regrets. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Feel free to give them a call before buying to ensure it's compatible with you're particular stone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used this stuff professionally on dozens of jobs over the last 20 years, and have no regrets. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Feel free to give them a call before buying to ensure it's compatible with you're particular stone.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! I will contact them for sure. Have you used this stuff on flagstone in areas that freeze during winter?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,970 Posts
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! I will contact them for sure. Have you used this stuff on flagstone in areas that freeze during winter?
Yes, mostly stone veneer on vertical surfaces, but I know we have used it on horizontal flagstone as well. Keep in mind it will need re-application every few years to enhance properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.