DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
A lot of inducers are made with a shaded pole instead of psc motor. Shaded pole motors don't use a capacitor.

Generally only top of the line furnaces have a variable speed inducer.

If a new part is a direct approved replacement for the existing motor's part number, you can use it even if it has a different motor type.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of inducers are made with a shaded pole instead of psc motor. Shaded pole motors don't use a capacitor.

Generally only top of the line furnaces have a variable speed inducer.

If a new part is a direct approved replacement for the existing motor's part number, you can use it even if it has a different motor type.
Thanks.
The furnaces is 'american standard freedom 95 comfort r'. I attached the coil picture of the motor, can you see if it is a Shaded pole motor? It has a four wire connector.

Best
Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BTW, one of the supplies tell it is a ' special 3 phase power rated motor' , I still don't know what it is.

Found this online:
Blower, 33-110V, Spd.

3.3" Frame 3 Phase Specific Purpose Blower with Ball Bearing, 1/70HP, 1500-4700rpm, 33-110V, 60Hz, 1 amps

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
variable speed inducer. if your furnace has that (motors looks like it may be - i see 3 separated windings), can't use a psc motor on it.

it's not shaded pole.

controller external to the motor, perhaps build into the main board. couldn't tell u for sure, not familiar with your furnace.

It maintains a better fuel to air ratio, the control board can get the exact speed required to close pressure switch so it compensates for exhaust pipe length, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
variable speed inducer. if your furnace has that (motors looks like it may be - i see 3 separated windings), can't use a psc motor on it.

it's not shaded pole.

controller external to the motor, perhaps build into the main board. couldn't tell u for sure, not familiar with your furnace.

It maintains a better fuel to air ratio, the control board can get the exact speed required to close pressure switch so it compensates for exhaust pipe length, etc.
Thanks.
Mostly I agree with you a VFD, because I found some more information like:
https://www.zoro.com/fasco-oem-blower-backward-curve-wheel-115vac-a197/i/G2031447/#specifications

given the Hz: 60/180.

That mean I can drive it by a vfd inverter? or should only use the control board on the furnace?

Best
Adam

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
You don't need any third party controller, the furnace should have what's needed.

Just make sure it's the motor that's bad as the controls can produce bad motor symptoms when it's a variable speed.

The service manual for the furnace should have specific instructions.

On a 2-stage I don't think the benefit of a variable speed inducer out ways the cost - more expensive, more difficult to troubleshoot.
There's a tenancy to over-engineer higher end products.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't need any third party controller, the furnace should have what's needed.

Just make sure it's the motor that's bad as the controls can produce bad motor symptoms when it's a variable speed.

The service manual for the furnace should have specific instructions.

On a 2-stage I don't think the benefit of a variable speed inducer out ways the cost - more expensive, more difficult to troubleshoot.
There's a tenancy to over-engineer higher end products.
Thanks,
Sorry I didn't make it clear, this motor used for just a few months and is replaced by another new one for its loud noise. I try to test out what's wrong with the noise, and I need it run.

Best
Adam

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ball bearing have to be perfect lest they make that characteristic high pitched whine. They often last a long time while making that noise but most people can't stand it for long.

They will still feel smooth as silk and coast as long as ever and have no detectable looseness. You just have to know the sound and take a leap of faith and replace the unit. I've replaced the bearing on a couple of them and trust me, you can't make any money that way!! haha

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
The furnace board controls that motors speed. It is a VFD motor.

Yes, you can connect it to a VFD if you have one.

Reactions: LLAOADAM
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.