DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm a new home owner and just moved in about 4 weeks ago. The yard needs some TLC and I want to learn how to make it look beautiful because me and my wife love the house and yard. It just needs some patience, kindness, and loving; some sweet loving. :vs_karate:

I'm attaching a photo of the patch of the front yard that I need to either try to nurse back to help or take out and replace. Any advice or opinions are appreciated:vs_cool:

Pleeeasseee help me with this and other issues I'm having. I wanted a new house that had things already finished but my wife likes the character of this 1987 house that needs a little TLC. I told her I'd work on because I love her and want her to be happy.
:vs_rocking_banana:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I'm new to the forum and realized that I didn't post any photos.

I tried to add a photo and its asking for a URL. Is this 1996?lol :vs_worry:
I have no idea how to do that. :plain:

·
retired framer
41,432 Posts
So, I'm new to the forum and realized that I didn't post any photos.

I tried to add a photo and its asking for a URL. Is this 1996?lol :vs_worry:
I have no idea how to do that. :plain:
I am not sure if the Mods turn something on or if it is automatic after you have a few posts you can post photos.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not sure where you are located but here in the northeast (suburban Philadelphia), now is the time to get after the yard work in order to have a great lawn in the spring. I would suggedt the following: take a bit of soil from a few different places in your yard, and have it analyzed. Usually landscape supply companies can do that for you, or look up the locsl Extension Service in your area. White you are waiting for that analysis to come back, aerate the lawn with a core aerator. That will put holes in the lawn and pull out 2 or 3 inch worms of soil. Once the analysis comes back, the landscspe supplier should be able to tell you what you need. When i started this about 10 years ago, they had me apply lime each fall for the first 4 years, but yiur soil could be different so wait for the test results. I then typically overseed with a good quality grass seed mixture. The best time to plant seed is around labor day since the ground is still warm and the grass will have time yo germinate and grow before winter dormancy. Then, around Thanksgiving, they give me a Winterizer fertilizer. Come spring, the lawn greens up well and looks gorgeous. Hope that helps you get started.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Where are you located?

Have you been watering the grass? Its one of the new chores of being a homeowner.

If watering does not bring it back, its dead. I find sod much easier and faster than seed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure if the Mods turn something on or if it is automatic after you have a few posts you can post photos.
Where are you located?

Have you been watering the grass? Its one of the new chores of being a homeowner.

If watering does not bring it back, its dead. I find sod much easier and faster than seed.

I'm in Zone 8b/9A (NE FL). Yes, I've been watering it once to twice a day because I put some sod in the back yard. The sod looks pretty good so far in the back for the most part. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure where you are located but here in the northeast (suburban Philadelphia), now is the time to get after the yard work in order to have a great lawn in the spring. I would suggedt the following: take a bit of soil from a few different places in your yard, and have it analyzed. Usually landscape supply companies can do that for you, or look up the locsl Extension Service in your area. White you are waiting for that analysis to come back, aerate the lawn with a core aerator. That will put holes in the lawn and pull out 2 or 3 inch worms of soil. Once the analysis comes back, the landscspe supplier should be able to tell you what you need. When i started this about 10 years ago, they had me apply lime each fall for the first 4 years, but yiur soil could be different so wait for the test results. I then typically overseed with a good quality grass seed mixture. The best time to plant seed is around labor day since the ground is still warm and the grass will have time yo germinate and grow before winter dormancy. Then, around Thanksgiving, they give me a Winterizer fertilizer. Come spring, the lawn greens up well and looks gorgeous. Hope that helps you get started.

Seed sounds like such an extensive option compared to sod. Why did you pick seed rather than sod? As stated in the response to the other comment, I'm in North East Florida/Jacksonville.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Seed sounds like such an extensive option compared to sod. Why did you pick seed rather than sod? As stated in the response to the other comment, I'm in North East Florida/Jacksonville.
I am not creating a new lawn, i am maintaining an existing one.

My lot is almost 3/4 acre. Seeding is far cheaper and far easier.

I would suggest that you talk to a landscape supply company in your particular area for the steps you should take and the timing of those steps. They are likely very different than the one's I outlined above due to the fact that you are much further south. Also, is it possible that the brown areas are made up of cool-season grasses (bluegrass, fescue, rye) rather than warm season grasses (zoyzia, bermuda, etc.)? If that is the case, the brown areas may simply be dormant due to the heat, and will turn green and start growing again when the weather cools down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts