DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1915 craftsman style bungalow and I love the windows (at least those that are obviously original and still in tact).. but of course, they're lacking quite a bit in the efficiency department. What's the most efficient and ideally economical option (long term, not plastic) for bringing these up to date as far as efficiency goes, while maintaining the original styling?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Believe it or not--wood storm windows--along with tuning up the existing antique windows to eliminate air leaks---will yield r values similar to modern windows---

If you must replace the windows Marvin will make custom replacements.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You can get storm windows that install on the inside, custom built to fit your windows. They run maybe $150 for a typical size.

·
Residential Designer
1,486 Posts
All good suggestions guys but what I have done for my old bungalow and for others in my area is to completely refurbish the existing wood sashes and frames, install brass weather stripping, seal openings and I just found out about a product to take the place of the old sash weights.
I will try to find the link but it is a spring cable that fits the old pulley holes in the frame.
Very cool stuff for the Old Towne Historic District here in Orange, CA.

Andy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you still want cutting-edge efficiency, you can get modern windows with false light separators. Some are between the panes, some are on the outside. The ones on the outside obviously look more realistic close-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts