DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring 4 outlets in a 4 bang box and have two circuits coming in and it's not a MWBC so I broke both tabs off 4 of the outlets. I realized it was physically impossible to wire this because of all the pig tails required. I ended up just making it one circuit and just striped enough wire so I can extend it under both screws. Then I started thinking, could I not just wire to a screw, then use backstab to go to the next outlet? Or is this a no no? I know backstabs are normally frowned upon and I normally don't use them, but this is a situation where I can see them being useful perhaps.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
I think I would just run 4 pigtails of the incoming and install new receptacles. Much simpler.

·
yeah, right
142 Posts
Is there some specific reason you need the top/bottom of each recept on a different circuit? Why don't you wire two recepts from circuit #1, and the other two recepts from circuit #2. You don't need any pigtails for that, just some jumpers.

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
is it legal to use backstab + screw at same time? -YES ,but ....

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there some specific reason you need the top/bottom of each recept on a different circuit? Why don't you wire two recepts from circuit #1, and the other two recepts from circuit #2. You don't need any pigtails for that, just some jumpers.
That's what I ended up doing, but thought of this after the fact, guess at the end I still accomplish the same thing and less hackish. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts