DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few deck questions so might do a Pt. 2 to this post to share more pictures. Pictures attached are for a 3-year old deck and attached 3 season room. One pictures shows header. Believe that nails should be staggered. Unsure if correct fasteners and spacing was used i.e. should fasteners be located between each joist and joist hanger?

Deck board attached to house has no visible fasteners that are holding it in place. Can't see any flashing.

Deck stair landing shows deck heaving. Footings were not marked in the inspection report as being inspected. Can see in early construction photos that for at least one of the 3-season room post footings, the post is at the edge of the footing (way off center).

Joist hangers in certain locations look warped, unsure if proper fasteners were used. Rim joists are separating with close roughly half an inch of space in between. Some boards appear to have little to no support and are sagging and warping.

3 season room flooring continuing to say. Lifted up at outside edge and sinking towards the center of the floor.

How concerned should we be?

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is deck safe? Violations? Pt. 2

This is a continuation of the prior post. Mostly to show more pictures of the issues. The deck and 3 season room is continuing to move. Our neighbor's deck (same builder) has heaved the past 2 years with their header board detaching the last year. On the other side, the neighbor had a different builder but their deck too is heaving. Wondering if footings on both houses done incorrectly or if their is an issue with expansive soils?

One image shows another header board attached to home. This one is the deck, one on last post was for 3-season room. This one shows fasteners between each joist/joist hanger but again they're not staggered and not sure if fasteners are correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Is it safe? Hire a professional to come out and inspect it.

Was the deck a permitted build?

• Yes: There will be drawings on file. Get a copy, and inspect the deck against the approved drawings.
  • No: No violations

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
This ledger looks to have a flashing above i, as the joists are running the other way the proper screws or nails would be fine here, but at the end of this deck it appears to have a double hung from a single with no hanger insight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, wish it was that easy. Village only shows 3 of 15 inspections were performed - footing inspection was not done. Village somehow "lost" house plans that are required to be on file for 7 years. Structural engineer hired didn't finish work so we had to go after him for not completing a report at all. Inspector hired but said that he wasn't a deck expert. Deck company came out and basically just said they need to redo a lot of things but wasn't specific. Had to take it upon myself to try to understand what is going on.

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
A double hanging from a single with out a hanger. flashing missing on the house wall and in the circled area, the flashing would have been tucked behind the wrap and protected this area.

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
Not the normal strap for this but is only to stop the post from falling out when it twisted. The post is twisted and could be changed out.

·
Naildriver
14,250 Posts
The ledger must be bolted to the rim of the house. Yes, the joists are too low, and missed nails didn't help. We can't see your footings due to the snow. Plywood has no place in deck construction.

Don't start a "part 2". Just add to this one so we don't have to go looking for the other one.

Reactions: WIHome

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
No flashing needed, bolts look alright but washers ould have been bigger, the hangers could have been one size bigger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ledger must be bolted to the rim of the house. Yes, the joists are too low, and missed nails didn't help. We can't see your footings due to the snow. Plywood has no place in deck construction.

Don't start a "part 2". Just add to this one so we don't have to go looking for the other one.
Thanks! The plywood is used under the 3-season room which is carpeted. The plywood is cracking and showing gaps. Floor in the 3-season room is sagging.

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts

This only looks like a ledger but is just a joist nailed to the wall. although it must be carrying some of the weight of the double. So bolts would have helps. The plywood is sun room

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
The joists have shrunk more than the beam and they can be lifted and shimmed or the hangers can be moved up.

The post on the edge of the footing is not usually a problem.

The deck should have be built 6" below the interior floor.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Re: Is deck safe? Violations? Pt. 2

We need your approximate location to better understand this issue. If you add a nearby big city to your profile it will show to the leaf with each post.

Heaving is sometimes associated with frost other time it could be clay.

Bud

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

We need your approximate location to better understand this issue. If you add a nearby big city to your profile it will show to the leaf with each post.

Heaving is sometimes associated with frost other time it could be clay.

Bud
I'll try that, in the meantime we live near Madison, WI. My question on the last photo is whether the overcut will weaken that area. The others show the ledger board at an angle and then the boards separating and leaving gaps. Not quite sure how to explain it.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

The pros will be along but from what I have seen I would expect some heavy bolts attaching those posts to the rim board.

But I hear two questions. Is the deck assembled correctly and why is it heaving or shifting? Pros will be along.

Bud

What are the posts sitting on, blocks, burried footings, or are the posts buried in the ground?

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts

the main detail is you have full bearing, with the thru bolt enstead of a strap I would not lose sleep over this. But they are missing the hanger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The pros will be along but from what I have seen I would expect some heavy bolts attaching those posts to the rim board.

But I hear two questions. Is the deck assembled correctly and why is it heaving or shifting? Pros will be along.

Bud

What are the posts sitting on, blocks, burried footings, or are the posts buried in the ground?
Believe the deck posts are just sitting on soil since that's how our neighbor's was done. The 3 season room looks like they just sit on top of concrete buried not too far down. At least one of the posts looks like it's sitting on the edge of the concrete circle it sits on. It's hard to say completely. We know that the city did not inspect the footings.

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts

There should 3 to 5 nails 16" on center when laminating for a beam or header. They don't have to be staggered.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

All support for the 3-season room and deck should be secured to concrete piers that go down below the frost line. If not that would explain the heaving.

If not inspected then probably these were not approved additions. The sooner you talk to your local authorities and get all approvals taken care of the better. It is a snake pit work is done without following building codes as you never know when something is going to jump up and bite you.

Bud

Reactions: WIHome
1 - 20 of 49 Posts