DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like the answer may be a fairly obvious yes, but I suppose the question is by how much.

I installed a large Mini-Split last summer and it has been awesome. However, there are now 2 bedrooms that I need to add another dual zone system to the other side of the house.

When I installed the first one, the package came with its own line set (nuts, both lines, insulation, etc, etc.) and the price was OK.

The dual zone is a really decent price, until you factor in the lineset cost, which is not included int he package this time. One of the rooms will work with a 16' set, so not terrible there, but the other will need about 40' and that is pretty expensive as a built set.

So, it got me to thinking, would it be cheaper to just buy the copper lines, insulation, and nuts and build them myself?

I enjoyed installing the first one and have all the tools necessary to do it right, but trying to maximize the value of what I spend.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I diy'd my own minis and did way too many hours on the net so it would be done right. I also bought a Daikin install tool kit, which included a flair gauge.

I bought a ?? foot lineset (cannot remember length) and cut it up for 2 different minis. I had read on the premade linesets that the flares were not good, checked with the Daikin flair gauge and 3 of the 4 were wrong. Also the nuts on the premade sets are much smaller and weigh less, so need to use the factory supplied nuts. After I get all done I found that the copper used in the premade sets is thinner than US made copper, not by much. But running over 600 psi is no place to skimp!

If doing the install today I would be buying US made tubing! Too much time and effort in this to skimp a few $$$ on copper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.