DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to paint the first floor of my home. I know many people love to tout that Benjamin Moore is the stuff to go with, but I just got a quote at $70 a gallon.... :surprise:

I know we're not allowed to bash or poop on companies, but I am hoping to get honest answers regarding whether it's worth the (nearly double) premium compared to a big box brand like Behr.

I see that Consumer Reports rated Behr higher, but what do the pros like about BM better?

If it's color, than I don't care there... I can find a color I like in any brand!

Is it application? Does BM wash better? Does BM resist fade better?

Or is it simply the fact that BM was better than other brands years ago, and they're just more comfortable??

Sherwin Williams was rated lower than many other paints with Consumer report's cover... but my employer offers a significant discount through Sherwin williams... So that's an option too...

I appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE swaying to help me make a decision. But I'd hate to pay double if I can get a decent application with the big box offerings!

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Go to SW when they have their 40% off sale which is usually once a month. Buy some Cashmere. I like the Low-lustre. Good stuff, goes on buttery smooth and has a very nice finish. Colored water is better than Behr. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I just got done telling a friend how all paints are now the same do to the advancements in chemistry. To prove my point I bought a gallon of valspar paint.
I will stick with the high end paints. You have to fight with the cheap paints, not sure what happens in the long run

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
If Behr was as good as Benjamin Moore I would be using it.

Instead, I use Benjamin Moore (or Sherwin Williams)--Yes it cost more--

Reactions: klaatu

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
I just got done telling a friend how all paints are now the same do to the advancements in chemistry. To prove my point I bought a gallon of valspar paint.
I will stick with the high end paints. You have to fight with the cheap paints, not sure what happens in the long run
should have said COULD be the same, they most certainly are not

·
Registered
973 Posts
For one thing consumer reports is a well known farce. The have repeatedly been caught lying and cheating in their testing procedures.(see Suzuki/Consumer reports lawsuit on your search engine) or the infamous case of rating two identical suv's with two different brand names on them #1 and dead last in one test. One was a Ford, one was a Mazda. The only difference was in the front and rear ends and the name. The Mazda was rated #1 and the Ford was rated dead last.

They once rated a Ferrari dead last in a performance car test because it didn't have cup holders.?

Something you should try is go to your Ben Moore dealer and see what the price is for the Ben product line. It is actually a much more apples to apples comparison price wise to the premium Behr line (Marquee) and will out perform it any day of the week. Don't compare Behr Marquee with Ben Moore Aura just because they are their prospective companies "top of the line" products. There is absolutely no comparison between them. Kind of like comparing a Chevy with a top of the line BMW.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I haven't done tests for durability and stuff. I figure pretty much any paint is "good enough". For me, it's all about application. I charge customers more if they want to use Behr. Then I still regret it.

A typical DIYer will see all the drips and roller spray and brush marks and it'll take a week to paint one room and their arm will be really tired. But they'll think that is normal and/or their fault. With a premium paint, you see a lot of those problems just melt away.

But the typical DIYer is using the wrong brush, roller, and technique. LOL. So maybe you won't see the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.