DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

Recently moved into a 1970s house. Took out the horrible stone surround around the fireplace. This is how it currently looks:

Rectangle Window House Door Wood

Is it possible to get to something like the below with a wood burner? Or will it require a huge amount of work? I know I’ll likely need a new flue. But how about the brickwork, the size of the opening etc.

Hearth Wood Interior design Building Rectangle

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
The fireplace was a wood burner to begin with, although it is very dated and possibly not in the best shape to continue wood burning. I would start by exploring what is behind the sheetrock above the firebox. Is there a brick or terra cotta flue? What you seem to want is doable, but it may require a more modern flue, which could be thwarted by your chimney configuration. Can you post a picture from the attic and from the outside?

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Usually Confused
9,617 Posts
If you can run a new s/s flue up the chimney (with a proper sealed cap) then it is definitely do-able. It might not hurt to get it inspected by a certified wood energy shop if such a thing exists where you are. How much the mantle/surround would cost depends how how fancy you want and how handy you are. Something like that reclaimed beam mantle would have to be sourced - how hard that will be depends on where you are.

Do you research for a good quality wood stove in your area.

If it is anything like around here, be aware that some insurance companies really, really don't like wood burners.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
They make wood burning inserts. Your picture is a wood stove setting on an old fireplace opening. An insert would take a smaller space/

Is the current chimney used for anything else, like the furnace of water heater?

How much work to install one I don't have a clue. Before you make the change verify with your insurance company to be sure it will be acceptable.

There are also pellet stoves which can reduce the handling and feeding issues.

Bud

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,925 Posts
What you are suggesting is WILL BE A LOT OF WORK. Removal. then rebuilding to fit the new wood burner, the flue will might be a cranky thing to deal with. You will not know until you open up the walls.

While your doing this consider running at least one may be two fresh air ducts so the fire place will not be using house air for combustion. I did one years ago. even had dampers on the fresh air to cut down on drafts when not using the fire place.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Changing out from that tiny front face fireplace opening to the large cavity to recess a log burner / wood stove will involve some serious masonry work, and will probably depend on how the chimney was constructed. Is the chimney the same size in the upper floor? All the way through the roof?

Simplest, but less elegant, would be freestanding the stove in front of that chimney, and doing minimal adjustment to ensure proper flue function.

You will have to talk to local chimney guys and/or masons to explore options.

·
Usually Confused
9,617 Posts
I don't think they will reject it but they may charge you a higher premium for higher risk.
When we bought our farm house with its wood-fired cook stove, our insurance company at the time said 'nope', they no long underwrote (underighted?) wood burners, period. Didn't matter that it passed a WETT inspection. We changed companies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts