DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time this year (installed it myslef last year) I started my irrigation system. The system runs off my well along with the rest of the house with light amounts of silty water at most, but passes through the valves and heads with ease. Worked fine all last year of heavy every day use.

I turned it on this year after a long winter, and the silt is unbeleivable. It caused all my valves to stick, and heads to stick up and clog. WHAT HAPPENED! The water is not filtered (except for the house) and never was, but worked fine last year with not one problem.

I blew them out with an air compressor last year before winter so the lines are/were empty and clean.

Any reason for this?

For people on wells. Do you usually flush the well for a few minutes on full blast to clean out the sediment from over winter? Or will this just disturb everything down there.

The valves are 3/4" Toro, Hunter PGP Ultra sprinklers, and Rainbird 5004 sprinklers.

Also, I'm thinking about getting Toro 1" jar top valves for $12-$14 each at home depot for new valves since 3 of the six valves I have now are dieing. The solenoid is going in one of them, the other seal leaks, and the last one sticks even after cleaning it. Anyone have any of these? Are they any good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to run the well until the water was nice and clear before turning the ball valve on to the sprinkler. Always install a clean out before the sprinkler shut off. You really should have a self cleaning filter installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts