DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a water system installed several years ago, and it did a great job. However, the iron problem we had is back. This is an Iron Boss that supposedly had much capacity to spare. I've used Iron Out and backwashed it repeatedly, but it seems it's worn out. It's been serviced, and the tech says it's perfectly fine. I don't think our well water has changed all that much. What's the life expectancy for an iron filter? Should it be replaced?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Isn't the iron boss just a water softener with a higher iron capacity? Have you had your water tested to see what hardness and iron is it coming into the unit? That's the only way to set the unit high enough. For instance, our well water has a hardness of 1041mg/L. Convert that to grains/gallon and our water softener is set at 60. I've tried setting it lower and it definitely makes a difference. The water tastes bad. We also have iron at 1.3mg/L. I have a whole house filter before the softener to capture any sediment down to 5 micron and that filter is completely orange from the iron. Then it hits the softener and I use the morton iron out salt pellets, and that makes a huge difference too because I tried cheaper stuff. Then it runs through another whole house filter that is a carbon taste and odor filter at 25 microns. The water comes out ok after that, but we still have a reverse osmosis undercabinet filter with a separate faucet because the wife and kids don't like the taste of the other stuff.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Also, the iron boss isn't really a high quality unit. I mean, it's sold at Menards. I'm no expert, but from what I've read about the softeners from the big box stores, expect 5 years of life. After that, it's all a gift. You said you had it for several years, it worked, and now it's not. I think you should be shopping for a new one. It might be working ok, but the resin beds that are used in the big box stores aren't top quality either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also, the iron boss isn't really a high quality unit. I mean, it's sold at Menards. I'm no expert, but from what I've read about the softeners from the big box stores, expect 5 years of life. After that, it's all a gift. You said you had it for several years, it worked, and now it's not. I think you should be shopping for a new one. It might be working ok, but the resin beds that are used in the big box stores aren't top quality either.
I believe you are thinking of waterboss. Iron boss is a dedicated iron removal system.

https://www.theleveredge.com/water-purification/filters/iron-boss/

Most media will wear out. Usually, you can buy new media and replace what's in your unit.

·
Water Treatment
1,078 Posts
WaterBoss has a few different models, there is the iron filter that uses pot perm and there is the softener that uses salt.
It would greatly help if you could post the Model Number of the unit.
I have to many times people say iron filter and they have softener or say softener and have an Iron filter.
The model number will say.
Also the tested iron level, not just over X but the true amount of iron.
Hardness and the number of people in the house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts